Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2019-12-14, 09:01 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Dingle

Thoughts on banditry?

Recommended Posts

Hey RP'ers.

During my recent return to DayZRP, I've experienced quite alot of banditry, during my play time. Some straight stick ups, and some deceptful onces. I've been a member on and off of this community for a couple of years, and so, I have seen it progress and evolve, players come and go, as you do. I wanted to ask you guys,  what your thoughts are on being robbed, captured or otherwise. Personally I don't really like to rob people, as I don't find any interesting RP from it. It's always the same: "Hands up, drop your gear" kinda deal. Captures and torture I'm a much bigger fan of, but only for the right reason. I want a good hatred between characters to justify a capture or torture. As I mentioned, I feel like the robbing has ramped up, since DayZRP began, and so, I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this type of play. Personally, if a fully kitted character, with a drum mag AK rolls up to me, and demands everything I have on me, I find it super boring. It's like "Ok, why does your character so desperately need my gear?". If say, a ragged, desperate dude, with nothing but a beat up hunting rifle sticks it in my back, it's a whole different and much more interesting story, in my personal opinion.
What's it like for you to get robbed, captured etc.? Do you find good RP in it?  If you play as a banditting character or otherwise, what draws you to this type of play?

This post is just meant to strike up some conversation about how people conduct themselves, and take on experiences like these as a character, and what you as a player like or don't like in these exchanges.

Have a great weekend guys!
-Dingle

Edit: Seeing some of the comments, I feel like I have to clarify. I am NOT against hostile RP. I think that hostile RP can be some of the absolute best on the server, and in the community. I am more so concerned about redundant hostile RP'ing. This post was more to discuss the meaning and driving factor in hostile RP. What you like to do, and what you like to see.

Edited by Dingle
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post

you gotta get blood samples somehow.

Share this post


Link to post

Oooh, I love spicy topics. Ah bandits, they can be some of the most polarizing characters of the server, but make no mistake, they are a necessary part of the RP of the community as a whole. I will start by saying that I am going to make a distinct difference between bandits and hostile roleplayers in general, as bandits are only a subsection of the greater hostile roleplay mindset, One in which the overall goal of the bandit is to gain a material advantage they may have otherwise been lacking.

Bandits, by definition, want your possessions, and as such can often fall into the trap of 10 second robberies, as those inexperienced in banditry tend to complete the main objective of the interaction, the robbery, but then don't know how, or even that they should, proceed forward with the roleplay. These are the ones that you will generally see in reports stating they just needed the gun, food, etc and think that by taking such they are roleplaying accordingly. This is often not the case.

On the flip side however you also have bandits that know they need to RP with the hostage, but are unsure how to proceed in doing so, so instead look for a reason to rob you, and often end up in the trope where they are acting in a completely poor manner in order to get you to react, so that you can then 'disrespect' them, leading to them then retaliating by robbing you and taking your belongings. As such they then provide further RP about teaching you respect and some light torture may be involved.

Lastly you have the idealists. These are the bandits that best understand how to roleplay, and incorporate the idea behind the robberies directly into their lore or group objectives. This is where you will find your nationalists, those imposing weapon laws, corrupt police, mobsters and what have you. At the end of the day the robbery is just a natural part of the overall roleplay they wish to provide, and while at times it can feel redundant, especially if you have been around the server for an extreme point in time, typically they generally don't care about your belongings, but rather are just roleplaying their characters. These are the types of bandits I have the most respect for when playing their charcters, because they stick to their characters motivations. Generally speaking someone who is a nationalist will not attack a local that does not somehow oppose their world view, those that impose weapon laws will generally not rob those that get the proper registrations or adhere to the restrictions, etc.

So in conclusion my overall feelings on bandits comes down to this, what kind of bandit is the person playing. Someone who just wants stuff will never be looked upon as favorably by me as someone who incorporates the very nature of their banditry into their character, and follows the guidelines they have imposed upon themselves.

Edited by Zanaan

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Zanaan said:

Lastly you have the idealists. These are the bandits that best understand how to roleplay, and incorporate the idea behind the robberies directly into their lore or group objectives. This is where you will find your nationalists, those imposing weapon laws, corrupt police, mobsters and what have you. At the end of the day the robbery is just a natural part of the overall roleplay they wish to provide, and while at times it can feel redundant, especially if you have been around the server for an extreme point in time, typically they generally don't care about your belongings, but rather are just roleplaying their characters. These are the types of bandits I have the most respect for when playing their charcters, because they stick to their characters motivations. Generally speaking someone who is a nationalist will not attack a local that does not somehow oppose their world view, those that impose weapon laws will generally not rob those that get the proper registrations or adhere to the restrictions, etc.

So in conclusion my overall feelings on bandits comes down to this, what kind of bandit is the person playing. Someone who just wants stuff will never be looked upon as favorably by me as someone who incorporates the very nature of their banditry into their character, and follows the guidelines they have imposed upon themselves.

YES YES YES! This is incredibly enjoyable. I like getting robbed with a motive, like trespassing where I didn't know I was, breaking a local law, or just being of a different standing or nationality. This leads to arguements, and really good RP, where it is often the case that you can adhere to whatever arguements they are making, and try to get pardonned, or strictly go against the ideals, or reasons as to why you were held up in the first place.

What I mean by unsatisfying robberies, are the ones in which there is no real motive, there is no background for the attack, and there isn't any good conversation taking place. This is what I see a little too much of, and I think that while many players are looking for their fix of action, many forget that banditting is one of the hardest playstyles to uphold, yet many do it badly, just because getting into altercations is fun for some, even though they don't include any valuable exhange. Am I alone in this?

Share this post


Link to post

Im fine with bandits, even those just wanting gear. Its the apocalypse. RP stands for rob people after all. Also, we need bandits to keep the gear hoarding in check. Everyone being fully kitted with massive backpacks full of gear and 3 guns is no fun.

Edited by Aisling

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Aisling said:

Im fine with bandits, even those just wanting gear. Its the apocalypse. RP stands for rob people after all. Also, we need bandits to keep the gear hoarding in check. Everyone being fully kitted with massive backpacks full of gear and 3 guns is no fun.

I mean considering most of the bandits on the server generally ARE also the gear hoarders, it's kinda hard to keep it in check.

Just a thought.

As for OP's question: I agree with you. The poor terrible excuse of "It's the apocalypse, deal with it." is the dumbest logic I see around. It's a ROLEPLAY server, regardless if it's an "apocalypse" if you want to play it that way, I would just dome you before interacting with you and take your shit that way.

The whole point of a roleplay server is to (You guessed it) roleplay. Yet when you want to have bandits hold people up, at least give them some flavor. Hearing the whole "Shut up or you'll be shot" is just a sore excuse to imply "I can't roleplay, I'm a PvPer on a server with rules and if I can loophole around said rules to get more stuff for my friends and I, nobody can stop me." and that's the type of mentality that you might happen to find from your holdups.

While I haven't played in 2 months, that was the general consensus and RP I often experienced or witnessed while I was active.

Edited by groovy kase

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, groovy kase said:

I mean considering most of the bandits on the server generally ARE also the gear hoarders, it's kinda hard to keep it in check.

Just a thought.

As for OP's question: I agree with you. The poor terrible excuse of "It's the apocalypse, deal with it." is the dumbest logic I see around. It's a ROLEPLAY server, regardless if it's an "apocalypse" if you want to play it that way, I would just dome you before interacting with you and take your shit that way.

The whole point of a roleplay server is to (You guessed it) roleplay. Yet when you want to have bandits hold people up, at least give them some flavor. Hearing the whole "Shut up or you'll be shot" is just a sore excuse to imply "I can't roleplay, I'm a PvPer on a server with rules and if I can loophole around said rules to get more stuff for my friends and I, nobody can stop me." and that's the type of mentality that you might happen to find from your holdups.

While I haven't played in 2 months, that was the general consensus and RP I often experienced or witnessed while I was active.

The bandits are the gear hoarders? Come on, that’s kind of laughable. Don’t get me wrong there’s a lot wrong with hostile RP. But at least don’t blame them for something they hardly ever do. In my experience the campfire rpers that just sit in their bases are the hoarders. Stacking up thousands upon thousands of rounds of 5.56 and filling their tents full of rifles. The bandits just usually carry what they need on them and then rob if they don’t have what they need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ZeroRP said:

The bandits are the gear hoarders? Come on, that’s kind of laughable. Don’t get me wrong there’s a lot wrong with hostile RP. But at least don’t blame them for something they hardly ever do. In my experience the campfire rpers that just sit in their bases are the hoarders. Stacking up thousands upon thousands of rounds of 5.56 and filling their tents full of rifles. The bandits just usually carry what they need on them and then rob if they don’t have what they need. 

Oh don't get me wrong, the campfire RPers are just as bad. But to say bandits help keep gear hoarders in check? Not exactly 100% accurate, it varies on the groups.

Share this post


Link to post

This is something I'm very interested in as @Methias, @APositiveJade, & I have been long time thinking about making hostile characters... not necessarily bandits - though of course it would take place eventually. More so looking in this thread for ideas, what people are interested in, the do's and don'ts. Are there ways to be successful without getting turned on and held up yourself every single time? I usually play goody, nice characters and I want a change. I want to be hostile, I want to promote hostile roleplay, but I'm not so keen on getting held up because people don't understand how to roleplay out hostilities without immediately resorting to guns. Anyone got any advice?

Share this post


Link to post

Ban it completely and offline raiding, it’s ruining the server atm and bringing nothing to the server at all

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Drbeans said:

This is something I'm very interested in as @Methias, @APositiveJade, & I have been long time thinking about making hostile characters... not necessarily bandits - though of course it would take place eventually. More so looking in this thread for ideas, what people are interested in, the do's and don'ts. Are there ways to be successful without getting turned on and held up yourself every single time? I usually play goody, nice characters and I want a change. I want to be hostile, I want to promote hostile roleplay, but I'm not so keen on getting held up because people don't understand how to roleplay out hostilities without immediately resorting to guns. Anyone got any advice?

You just have to know who your prey is. There's some people where you can get hostile RP from and others where the minute you even say "put your hands--" you'll be in a firefight before you even blink.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Drbeans said:

This is something I'm very interested in as @Methias, @APositiveJade, & I have been long time thinking about making hostile characters... not necessarily bandits - though of course it would take place eventually. More so looking in this thread for ideas, what people are interested in, the do's and don'ts. Are there ways to be successful without getting turned on and held up yourself every single time? I usually play goody, nice characters and I want a change. I want to be hostile, I want to promote hostile roleplay, but I'm not so keen on getting held up because people don't understand how to roleplay out hostilities without immediately resorting to guns. Anyone got any advice?

I havent played a hostile character myself but the only issue i see sometimes is both sides not enjoying the RP so make it as best as you can for both sides so everyones happy (although thats also a given)

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Drbeans said:

This is something I'm very interested in as @Methias, @APositiveJade, & I have been long time thinking about making hostile characters... not necessarily bandits - though of course it would take place eventually. More so looking in this thread for ideas, what people are interested in, the do's and don'ts. Are there ways to be successful without getting turned on and held up yourself every single time? I usually play goody, nice characters and I want a change. I want to be hostile, I want to promote hostile roleplay, but I'm not so keen on getting held up because people don't understand how to roleplay out hostilities without immediately resorting to guns. Anyone got any advice?

Choose your targets wisely, roleplay with them for a while to get a grip on them. Run with them for maybe 30 minutes and if you feel that you'd been getting good roleplay from them you most likely will get it when you rob them if you also have sensed that they've enjoyed your RP. Don't go after several people, two people at max I'd say. So don't start off as hostile, be deceptive so they wont see it coming.

Edited by Roman

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, groovy kase said:

You just have to know who your prey is. There's some people where you can get hostile RP from and others where the minute you even say "put your hands--" you'll be in a firefight before you even blink.

Ah yeah, that was a given, but a good point. Time to practice shootin' then 😄 

2 minutes ago, Kailen Olsen said:

I havent played a hostile character myself but the only issue i see sometimes is both sides not enjoying the RP so make it as best as you can for both sides so everyones happy (although thats also a given)

Of course, of course - that's always the intention during the whooping one hold-up we did have. The victim seemed quite... new? Less intimidated and more awkward laughing, so can only hope he enjoyed it.

1 minute ago, Roman said:

Choose your targets wisely, roleplay with them for a while to get a grip on them. Run with them for maybe 30 minutes and if you feel that you'd been getting good roleplay from them you most likely will get it when you rob them if you also have sensed that they've enjoyed your RP. Don't go after several people, two people at max I'd say.

This is something I thought about and I'm actually really glad you've confirmed them. Considering there would be three of us at any given time (more depending on the friends we have with us), going for lower numbers is better and I really love the idea of running with them. Gonna have to use that 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Drbeans said:

This is something I thought about and I'm actually really glad you've confirmed them. Considering there would be three of us at any given time (more depending on the friends we have with us), going for lower numbers is better and I really love the idea of running with them. Gonna have to use that 🙂 

Also remember that the more gear you leave them with the happier they'll be when it's over because then they wont focused on what they've lost but instead focus on what they've gained roleplay wise 😉

You could also during the time off assessment when they have lowered their guard a bit give small comments that kinda hints at maybe not so nice things, like talking about how you once maybe shot a guy in the leg because they didn't listen to you or something. Then they will start to wonder a bit but then you go back to being friendly with them, so then when you actually do become hostile it wont come entirely from left field. Just don't make it too obvious and initiate when they least expect it.

Share this post


Link to post

I think that "bandits" are absolutely needed in RP. It's a shame when people are clearly out for gear though and it really shows. I've only just recently started playing a hostile character, which is the first time I've played one in my 4 years of DayZRP. However, I don't steal from my victims, I like to show that I'm in control now, I'm the dominant one and depending on what the players character did before the outbreak will determine just how fucked up my character will be too them. To put all hostile RPers into one bracket just doesn't work though, there are all different types, all of which keep a balanced economy in the world of Chernarus and as long as the RP that comes with it is good, who are we to complain?

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, Saunders said:

I think that "bandits" are absolutely needed in RP. It's a shame when people are clearly out for gear though and it really shows. I've only just recently started playing a hostile character, which is the first time I've played one in my 4 years of DayZRP. However, I don't steal from my victims, I like to show that I'm in control now, I'm the dominant one and depending on what the players character did before the outbreak will determine just how fucked up my character will be too them. To put all hostile RPers into one bracket just doesn't work though, there are all different types, all of which keep a balanced economy in the world of Chernarus and as long as the RP that comes with it is good, who are we to complain?

- USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST -

Share this post


Link to post

I don't mind bandits to be honest it changes it up and makes you experience a different kind of roleplay as long as it is done right and both sides experience good rp and go away feeling good about it.  I have fortunately been lucky enough to experience fab hostile rp and in fact was held up thursday I was in stitches with the rp I experienced. Yes I was robbed but it was fun for both sides and I kept most if not all of my stuff besides my assault rifle they even let me keep my pistol. Another experience  was a hostile chat under threat of life I kept everything I had but still feared for my character and made me compliant I was outnumbered and they forced me to answer questions and I left that oocily happy but ic fear. These are all good experiences but I have also experience bad hostile rp where I was ordered to completely strip making me feel awkward and leaving feeling terrible who robbed me for my gear and no rp.

This is the apocalypse we need robbers and bandits and hostile rp things shouldn't be rainbows and roses there needs to be a fear there whether to trust people or not or be weary of people. It is all good having rp where everything is fine but hostile rp reminds you that it really isnt the world that it used to be.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm definitely not disagreeing on the fact that we need hostile RP , and robbing. It can be really enjoyable. My "complaint" is when it isn't done right. When people disregard a motive, won't make good conversation or demands. It's the situations where the only reason I am being held up, is because the player is too lazy to loot themselves. It's all about the loot for some. And believe me, some of the best RP I've experienced in my many years here, has been hostile RP. When it's done right, it's amazing.

I recently saw suggestions about video tutorials for the whitelisting process. Would it be an idea, to make videos showing good examples of RP. Not rules, but just show some basic do's and dont's? So that newer players understand what it takes to create good RP. Personally, seeing a ton of new people flooding in all the time, it might be a good optional source of learning the RP ways. I know we have many old dogs in here, more than capable of giving their 2 cents about it.

Share this post


Link to post

Why do those topics keep poppin off everytime

Just deal with it and let people play whatever they want, stop with the elitist attitude of im right and whatever you say is dismissed as wrong 

If its bad rp then report it. We have rules.

Bye

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly wouldn't care if people went around and robbed people just for their shit and left instead of the usual: We are ______, who are you? Do you know ____? What do you know about ____? Okay don't leave this building for 60 seconds, bye.

I honestly think we should make all military areas KOS zones, the only RP that happens there is awkward as everyone is there for the same thing. Having actual danger will make it an actual challenge to get better weapons and also make it easier at the same time with less people spending their whole time online scouring the military bases. But obviously everyone wants it to be a walk in the park to get fully geared with military grade weapons that probably would've been long gone 2 years after the beginning of a zombie apocalypse.

tl;dr we should have more hostilities and fear on the server, so I'm pro bandit RP.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, JewRP said:

Why do those topics keep poppin off everytime

Just deal with it and let people play whatever they want, stop with the elitist attitude of im right and whatever you say is dismissed as wrong 

If its bad rp then report it. We have rules.

Bye

This is a community discussion thread that's actually sparked decent conversation. It's not like it's a poll that clearly states 'should hostile RP be removed from the server.' Calm down. 

Now my opinion, hostileRP is needed on the server, but I agree that the basic 'PUT YOUR FUCKING HAND UP OR DIE' initiation is overused, as well as the classic line 'SHUT THE FUCK UP.' It's obvious people are doing it for gear, and you rarely ever leave a hostileRP situation with a weapon of any type. This is all due to inexperience though, and most of the time these types of players leave the server after their BoO is hit once and their gear is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, noir said:

Ban it completely and offline raiding, it’s ruining the server atm and bringing nothing to the server at all

Wait is this sarcastic? At that rate you might as well add in some rainbows and unicorns. Do you really think that in a world like the current setting in our lore that people wouldn't rob others and people wouldn't break into bases/homes that look like they can provide useful survival tools? Or break into their enemies stashes to make sure that the enemy doesn't gain the upper hand? Mindsets like the one you stated is what is ruining the server. Everyone wants to make sure that their character just gets to have a walk in the park. Trust me, used to be that person that thought my character shouldn't have any harm done, but reality is - that's not fair to the others you are roleplaying with. 

Also to say that raiding and banditry brings nothing to the server is absolutely ridiculous. Why? Cause ever person that robs you, hell that's a whole new storyline you can make. Even those that rob you might give you some pretty cool storylines. I myself have been held up and given new storylines to follow and new ways to develop my character form banditry and hostile roleplay. My character, although preaches about being good, also commits things but always we give people new storylines to adapt. Whether they understand that at first or not. Base got broken into? Hell, roleplay out planning with your friends/group how you can make the place more defend-able when you aren't around. Everything that happens to you, you can make your own cool potential to develop more story (i mean unless you no comply and die). Stop getting mad over being held up, stop getting mad about being raided. The salt of being raided, and the salt of situations not going YOUR way is what kills the server.

 

Onto the topic at hand. Hostile roleplay is needed. Yes there is some pretty poor hostile roleplay that occurs on the server, however there is others that actually create storylines and flow. Also it builds character. My entire group and character is based around the first weeks of being in the server where I encountered plenty of robberies and plenty of hostile interactions. If it wasn't for these interactions, my group wouldn't have formed. Ya'll can say hostile rp isn't needed but it definitely is. I just hope to see better roleplay when it happens and better story building from those getting robbed instead of salt reports or salt threads.

Edited by PhoenyxxRP

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, PhoenyxxRP said:

Ya'll can say hostile rp isn't needed but it definitely is. I just hope to see better roleplay when it happens and better story building from those getting robbed instead of salt reports or salt threads.

+1 to this. It is definitely one of the biggest driving factors of good RP. I just hate to see it being done poorly.

Share this post


Link to post

Shoot him first

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...