Server time (UTC): 2019-12-05, 18:36 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
APositiveJade

It's that time of year again

Love this idea! 

I fully agree.. having a stale server mentality with the same old groups recycled with new names is very tiring.. A time leap would be a great idea and as you said would allow for some new aspects of RP to be reached.. Also I vote for a dedicated DayzRP map to be created to house this new RP upon.

+1 

I wish I had been around when roleplay was at it's peak - I've said it once, I'll say it again, you cannot have an imbalance of pvp & roleplay otherwise it gets stale... and with people wanting to stay relatively vanilla good / bad with their groups that's all we got at the moment. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I used to hear stories about actually scary groups, providing amazing roleplay & pvp when necessary. I want that... I just don't ever see it now and maybe it's because of the 30 man long queue preventing me from getting into s1... 

I also think this will help spread out group dynamics - I love the fact s2 has been implemented... but it's clear large or settled groups will not move over especially with s2 being the sacrificial lamb to Livonia... Having a new setting, a new plotline, and reinvigorated roleplayers will allow an even spread of activity on both servers. 

Edited by Drbeans

Honestly I’m all for a lorewipe. Ban already made groups from the same people. So it makes fresh creative things. Different RP from people. Of course lore groups should be allowed but the original groups should be closed as a chapter by their 5-6 yr owners.

a future may be good but I like current day to actually talk about songs and tv shows that came out

It really didn't change anything when we did a lore wipe. You can do whatever you want but people are gonna RP the way they RP, you need to do something personally to spice things up.

down for a lore wipe of some kind

However i don't think Livonia will be that popular because its a paid DLC, but that's just me

7 minutes ago, Major said:

-snip-

I'm not saying we throw Livonia into the future I'm saying we throw everything into the future (s1 included).  We can say all we want about rp not changing and stuff but ya never know til you try. There's less limitations to certain characters and groups in the future setting that Rolle specifically disallowed near the beginning due to the believably of it. But if you already made lore fair play it's still something to think about for the future when the inevitable lore wipe happens again. 

Honestly don't know what the lore is for Liv but if it strays away from snoozefest milsim that make the $15 dollars worth it then it'll be a hit, just has to be creative.

(tbh we need new map in general chernarus is so boring)

22 minutes ago, Squillium said:

-snip-

I'm guilty of playing the same character tbh but again you never know. People might have a change of heart or get some inspiration to try something new.

So far the response to a time jump (in this thread atleast) has been majority positive 🙂

The problem with Deer Isle population was:

1. It was introduced WAY too late into the current lore

2. Factions were already settled on s1. I saw tons of people complaining they didn't want to move because of mates/gear/bases - I've heard of times where factions were spread out across the four servers, promoting roleplay on all of them and persuading people to bounce between them for different stories.

3. Deer Isle was a fun, new, unique map, but of course it was unfinished which some people, understandably, didn't like.. (Though Chernarus still isn't a finished map even to this day)

It's easy to say "the new server/map is unsuccessful so it's pointless to try anything else", but it's important to figure out why it was unsuccessful. It's been two, almost three, years since the last wipe. Limited creativity and rehashed ideas will always be a reason to stray from new exciting ideas, but honestly, get creative. Not stupid... not like magical parallel universe... but if you find it hard to think of ideas, visit the community - take a break - introduce fresh blood into the lore team. I agree with @APositiveJade that primarily military focused lore is a snoozefest (though is necessary to an extent)... because the majority of people would be civilians - not military. I also agree with @Methias & Jade & Major that a new map is needed. Chernarus is too large, old & fully-explored. 

Edited by Drbeans

1 hour ago, Major said:

snip

I have to be honest, this reply made me very disheartened to see and, more importantly, upset that you assumed so much negativity about what I said. Really, I feel like you didn't understand what I wrote. I understand the difficulties that come with writing, more specifically writing for lore. It sucks having your ideas shot-down, trying to please a community that doesn't accept them - it really kills the spirit and creativity. I understand. But I never assumed that about you, nor did I ever think your lore was shit/you didn't want new blood. I don't know you other than by a screen-name, so please don't make those assumptions for me. 

1 & 2. Timing is important in some cases. S1 is a constant 80/80 with people who have settled, made bases, joined groups before Deer Isle was ever a thing. Anyone with a stable group will not uproot to a new place with a low population, you're right. People go where the people flourish otherwise you're just playing looting simulator - might as well play pub. But a server wipe with fresh maps will potentially promote people to spread out. It's a chance for everyone to give even love to both servers where worrying about bases or gear or relationships isn't a problem.

All I wanted to do was express my opinion on the matter - in regards to Deer Isle's death and a server wipe. If I wanted to join the LM team, I would apply but I do not want to, especially now. Finding another server should not be the be all end all, nor something you should recommend to the active players here. I like DayZRP. I enjoy the community and the roleplay/players I come across in game. But... like I said - and it's semi-apparent in your post but relevant to ANYONE in the lore team anywhere - if you're burned out, take a break to rekindle new ideas. Writing lore doesn't have to end at just a backstory - what about in-game events? Things to promote roleplay or pvp. Stepping outside the boundaries is how you keep ideas fresh - promoting a negative culture is how you kill a community. I will admit, I know it's hard to form a complete story around a pre-generated map. DayZ is incredibly militaristic, I agree. That's why I agreed with you and multiple others that a custom map would be great. 

Either way, this isn't meant to be a jab at you, your writing skills, or the current lore. It's just my opinion and at the end of the day, I have no say in what gets done. Best wishes, I'll dip my head and take my leave. 

Edited by Drbeans

I'm down with another lore wipe. But that also requires someone or multiple people to write all the lore and make everything make sense, so it's a big project to take on.

Honestly I love the idea of increasing the lore, it takes a long time to establish and create new lore though and as a writer myself I can understand where it would be frustrating to have everyone judge your work so harshly consistently. 

If we did a 'time jump' as suggested we'd get a clog of people saying 'I want to be a part of the official canonical story!', etc.

It's a bad idea wrapped around good intentions. We have personal stories, unfortunately those stories will never become official lore unless you somehow publish them and get then accepted by everyone, otherwise people will complain that their own personal story didn't get published as canon.

It would be cool to have what happened to Dean Lockwood and the Mafia, the rise and fall and reemergence of the Corp, the Wolfpacks story, the constant struggle between the CDF, CTF, and Chedaki as told in character; but unfortunately it'd be too much work and they'd get the ever so present complaining of 'why is *insert group here* not there?!' -Insert Suggestion thread to add *Lore of NATO Squad 3 million and a Half* here.

@Major, you are a great LM, and you helped me a load with creating my original character concept. Don't feel down, the lore so far is great man. I understand where these people are coming from and they just want a little change. I've been reading the lore quite a bit while working as there's been a lot of downtime, was planning in reading the events section in the DayZ radio, so far everything's great man!

Tl;DR: It's a great idea to go forward instead of backward but unfortunately there's no surefire way to write further canon based on what's happened because it's all personal story based.

Edit: I do understand that the main point of this post wasn't to add personal characters lore into canon but I know if we suddenly went into the future people would want that.

Edited by Fuhqnugget

A jump in the future would be cool if we had assets that would fit the scenery like old cloths, handmade equipment and so on that would make it feel like years have gone by. We don't have such things.

Sure, we could do it. Don't know what kind of state Livonia is. If it's all overgrown then it will make sense that it hasn't been just barely 3 years from the outbreak like current lore suggests. I would love a timejump perhaps 5-10 years into the future, especially considering the state of cars etc on Chernarus already.

I'll talk with LMs and see what we can do.

50 yeara into the future with q new generation of survivalists and we got a deal

No more old world people...its all a new generatioj of surviors....would encourage less old world groups and more new world.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Sure, we could do it. Don't know what kind of state Livonia is. If it's all overgrown then it will make sense that it hasn't been just barely 3 years from the outbreak like current lore suggests. I would love a timejump perhaps 5-10 years into the future, especially considering the state of cars etc on Chernarus already.

I'll talk with LMs and see what we can do.

If we are going to do a time jump I hope we are considering doing some heavy changes to the map itself, overgrown areas, abandoned bases, etc  Stags has a cool idea with the whole 50 year thing. That would be fun to see. Livonia is the best option for this as everything on that map is already overgrown and abandoned looking. 

Edited by ZeroRP

LOL

This thread got me permanently removed from LM. New blood indeed. Now there's two openings. 

Going into the future could be very interesting and a good change of pace. The fact is that if we do 2019 on Livonia As well, it will litearlly just be Chernarus 2.0 but with a different map. Same nationalist groups (a little different lore) Same Russian groups. Same American tourists etc. 

1 minute ago, NozzyRP said:

Going into the future could be very interesting and a good change of pace. The fact is that if we do 2019 on Livonia As well, it will litearlly just be Chernarus 2.0 but with a different map. Same nationalist groups (a little different lore) Same Russian groups. Same American tourists etc. 

This is why I said make deer isle the actual way the author meant it as and not some territory of CommieFuckistan. If it was actually set in the US we could have had way different groups, instead we got the same recycled stuff  

11 hours ago, Mademoiselle said:

Honestly I’m all for a lorewipe. Ban already made groups from the same people. So it makes fresh creative things. Different RP from people. Of course lore groups should be allowed but the original groups should be closed as a chapter by their 5-6 yr owners.

a future may be good but I like current day to actually talk about songs and tv shows that came out

A don't even know what to respond to this... What? 

So what you are saying is we FORCE all hostileRP'ers to be campfireRP'ers and all campfireRP'ers into hostileRP'ers. how would this benefit the community at all? 

1 minute ago, ZeroRP said:

This is why I said make deer isle the actual way the author meant it as and not some territory of CommieFuckistan. If it was actually set in the US we could have had way different groups, instead we got the same recycled stuff  

Yes exactly, this was my critique of Deer Isle as well. It's still in Chernarus so there is no point in playing on it

Just now, NozzyRP said:

A don't even know what to respond to this... What? 

So what you are saying is we FORCE all hostileRP'ers to be campfireRP'ers and all campfireRP'ers into hostileRP'ers. how would this benefit the community at all? 

I think she just is saying that people should stop re-opening groups that have been brought back 6 times. The typical cycle use to be open a unique group, the life cycle use to last 6-8 months, it would close and a new one would open up with a completely different theme. 

3 minutes ago, NozzyRP said:

Yes exactly, this was my critique of Deer Isle as well. It's still in Chernarus so there is no point in playing on it

That’s exactly why I didn’t play it when I had a computer. I can’t be bothered to play a completely different map on a sep hive if there is no difference between it and chernarus. Sure the map layout is different but because of this being an RP server it serves no point in playing it if I’m just going to run into the same Nationalists slavs. 

3 minutes ago, ZeroRP said:

I think she just is saying that people should stop re-opening groups that have been brought back 6 times. The typical cycle use to be open a unique group, the life cycle use to last 6-8 months, it would close and a new one would open up with a completely different theme. 

That’s exactly why I didn’t play it when I had a computer. I can’t be bothered to play a completely different map on a sep hive if there is no difference between it and chernarus. Sure the map layout is different but because of this being an RP server it serves no point in playing it if I’m just going to run into the same Nationalists slavs. 

Thanks Zero, explained it for me bb ❤️ 

I'd be down for a lorewipe of some kind to be honest... Keep seeing the same groups over and over again with a different shape. New lorewipe would mean new kind of groups.

Edited by TurkRP