Server time (UTC): 2020-08-06, 01:43
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

A message from Redwood Radio

Father David wakes to find himself laid out in the open air as some thieving bastard has stolen the tent he was sleeping under. He wakes up cold and wet and goes downstairs to make a cup of Yorkshire tea and sees the front door wide open and the lock broken in bits on the floor. His head bows again and he sighs before walking into the studio to see the locker has been emptied out too. While his cooking pot is boiling up the water he reaches for the radio.

Dear listeners, Father David here. Ive been quiet for a few weeks as im tired of the constant insults and death threats with no apparent reason. However, this morning, Despite the wonderful sunrise is already turning out to be a completely crappy day. Aside from waking up cold and wet as some scoundrel has stolen the tent from literally over the top of me, emptied out all my tomatoes and zucchinis from the locker and even stole my clean underwear, im completely despondent with people at the minute.

Can I just say, we are a radio station are not an armoury. We don’t store ammo, we don’t sell or trade guns, we don’t keep valuable items in the premises. If you are looking for those fancy googles that see in the dark, try one of the many military bases around, theres a huge one not far from us. We literally keep some food we grow, some of us have a locker with spare clothes in and we may have a few shotgun shells lying around. Our main items we store are the odd generator to power our radio transmission and that’s about it.

If you arrive at Altar, hacksaw in hand looking at our front door expecting a stash of guns inside, You will be disappointed and risk being shot if either us or one of our many allies that pass by frequently catch you damaging our locks, all for virtually zero reward. If you want food, come back when we have someone on the premises and you can come inside, get warm, have some stew and we can chat about your time and how things are going for you. We can give you a tour of the station and show you how our equipment works. We are a friendly bunch, we don’t have many enemies and all we ask is that we may put you on the radio or in our newspaper if you have a news worthy story.

The locks are there to keep the infected and wild animals out, not people. If the people of chernarus want to benefit from our radio broadcasts, advertising and news items then please think twice before tearing down our gates and opening the station up to the elements. All this repair work just takes us away from doing what we are good at, bringing you entertainment, stories, advertising and above all, something to take your mind off the hell we are living in. In the last two weeks we have had to repair our front door virtually every day and haven’t had any opportunity to actually get some decent quality broadcasting done.

Now ive been around the block a few times and I know people will mock us and claim they will take what they want, when they want and that is your right, but please remember, one day you may need our communication skills and the use of our radio station, and it may not be there for you as we may have packed up and moved to a new country.

Now we arent a charity but we will welcome any supplies people have to help us make our station and equipment secure again. We can offer some advertising in return. We have multiple ways in which we can get a short message out to the whole of Chernarus if you wish. We dont have any food to offer though as the thieves took it all and we need to go looking for some old packs of seeds in the nearby town.

He puts down the radio and pours out his cup of tea before picking up his hammer and start repairing the front door before depressed cowboy sees it and tries to hang himself again

Edited by andysuter

*a old man inside a starry apartmant room takes the radio after listening to thetransition. The rain on the roof is heard as he clicks the PPT*

Father David, havent heard that name before. I wish you luck with your troubles and I was wondering if you have time to answer some questions.

1: Are you a man of the faith and if so which one

2: what general area is your station located/ where is a location you like to meet people?

*The old man clicks the PPT off and waits*

Father David hears the radio call and puts down his hammer.

“Hello stranger.

Yes I am an ordained priest, many years ago when I was in the chaplains Department of the british army. Im a Christian Protestant although those definitions don’t seem to matter so much these days.

How can I help you? Im at the radio station on Altar hill”

He puts down the radio and decides he cant be bothered to keep repairing the door so grabs his faded copy of nuns weekly and goes for a number 2 instead.

*The old hand presses down on the PPT* an old war dog, same here just from across the pond. My question is if you do confessions still? It's been a long time since I believed but I guess anything is open now a-days

*The old hand releases his PPT*

Father David reaches for his radio

“well confessions were more of a traditional catholic thing and as a protestant we generally don’t have a formal arrangement for such things. Generally if one of the troops had something they needed to talk about, we would find time to have a chat where they would talk and I would listen. It was all in confidence of course. I don’t absolve anyone of their sins, that’s for you to address with the lord via your prayers, but im always willing to offer a listening ear to those that aren’t out to crucify me on the nearest tree”

He puts down the radio and wonders what that man may have done that is weighing on his mind so much

*The old man clicks down his PPT, a crackle of a fire and other voices are faintly heard*

Well I need to get this off my chest and you still believe there is something greater who cares so....here it goes...

*The old man pauses as he thinks*

I'm a Colonel in the US military...I deployed across the world before the infection and have done terrible things....I've killed, tortured and use evil tactics to achieve victory.

I now stand in the end of modern times... I feel lost. Did the things I do make the ends meet? What will I do when I die....I feel lost father...

*he releases the PPT*

"Well I can understand your worries as that is one of the main issues facing people in the armed forces.

The church teaches us that murder is a sin. But what is murder? The lord defines murder as taking the life of an innocent or just person. Where the life taken is an unjust one, for example another solider that is trying to kill you, they are not just.

However, if you are saying you are have committed acts where you have taken the lives of innocents or committed other sins against them, then I can not to offer you absolution. You have committed sin and God alone will decide your fate. I can suggest you make peace with the lord through prayer. He will listen and answer you if you let him. I will also pray for you"

*the old man presses the PPT down* thank you father, I hope one day we can meet, stay safe

*he releases the PPT and beds down for the night*

Alen picks up his radio and the sound of a window being smashed open while he pushes down the PTT.

"Are you fucking kidding me...I saw someone when I woke up with a massive headache running out of the station, front door wide open...I just thought he was one of you but then I saw him running into the field down the hill. I tried to give chase but by that time I lost sight of him.

He takes a small gulp of a bottled liquid.

"If you need anything Father I will assist you. Anything you need. You know how to contact me."

Alen turns off the radio and stashes it into his back, walking out of the house he was hiding in, moving onto the next one.

Father David wakes in a small hunting lodge in the north to the sound of the radio

“thank you sir, It is indeed becoming a problem. I could understand if we had stuff worth stealing but all this is doing is costing us time and materials to secure the building each day. We don’t want any infected or cattle getting in and causing havoc.

If you ever find anyone not from ourselves or our friendly allies in our station un-accompanied please feel free to restrain them until we can get there and decide on the fate of the trespasser. Hopefully it will be the Lord in judgement and not one of our more ‘eccentric’ colleagues.

Peace be with you”

He puts down the radio and sees a wild pig foraging from the window, before rushing out with hunting rifle in hand

*Inside Cranmer's humble study, the Priest is undertaking a light reading of the Gospel, when through the thin walls of the buildings of Albion, he hears:*

"bzzt....listeners...Father David...bzzt"

*Being alerted, he burst through into the Lord Captains office, and demanded that Mr Nichols adjust the signal, loud enough to startle the Viscount from his afternoon snooze*

"Why it's another broadcast!"

*After listening to some responders, the Chaplain decides to chin in*

"Good afternoon to you Father! My name is Elijah Cranmer, Chaplain of the Cavaliers and faithful servant of the Lord our God. It is good to hear another man of faith along these frequencies! I thought I might pose to you some questions for yourself."

*Cranmer fumbles with his pockets and finds a flip-book which he flicks through for a few seconds*

"Which is your favorite passage in the Gospel? Mine is the 1st Corinthians 13, in the New International Version:

'If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.'

Though I usually study with my King James bible, I find the use of the word "love" over "charity" to be more appropriate"

*He flicks again*

"Second, what do you make of the dreadful condition of the "infected" so as you say, some have said this is a sign of the end times, but I do not think so, as the prophesies have not been fulfilled, (see  Matthew 24–25; Mark 13 and Luke 21). Do you suppose those afflicted have been possessed by demons? I have yet to perform a successful exorcism, or do you think instead they are merely the sickly?"

*The Lord Captain groans can be heard faintly as the man flicks again*

"Thirdly, how would you say is the best way to spread the word of Christ in these times? You and your radio station are of sure service to the Lord, but for one such as I who has little knowledge or access to these devices, how would you suggest I go about most effectively spreading the good word?"

*The flip-book can be heard closing as the Lord Captain mumbles to himself in the background noise*

"It is truly a pleasure to hear your broadcast every Sunday, I hope you continue your service. Should you ever want to discuss the faith be sure to come visit, or perhaps I shall come to you some time. Farewell for now! God Bless!"

*The radio cuts silent*

11 hours ago, MrMelons said:

*Inside Cranmer's humble study, the Priest is undertaking a light reading of the Gospel, when through the thin walls of the buildings of Albion, he hears:*

"bzzt....listeners...Father David...bzzt"

*Being alerted, he burst through into the Lord Captains office, and demanded that Mr Nichols adjust the signal, loud enough to startle the Viscount from his afternoon snooze*

"Why it's another broadcast!"

*After listening to some responders, the Chaplain decides to chin in*

"Good afternoon to you Father! My name is Elijah Cranmer, Chaplain of the Cavaliers and faithful servant of the Lord our God. It is good to hear another man of faith along these frequencies! I thought I might pose to you some questions for yourself."

*Cranmer fumbles with his pockets and finds a flip-book which he flicks through for a few seconds*

"Which is your favorite passage in the Gospel? Mine is the 1st Corinthians 13, in the New International Version:

'If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.'

Though I usually study with my King James bible, I find the use of the word "love" over "charity" to be more appropriate"

*He flicks again*

"Second, what do you make of the dreadful condition of the "infected" so as you say, some have said this is a sign of the end times, but I do not think so, as the prophesies have not been fulfilled, (see  Matthew 24–25; Mark 13 and Luke 21). Do you suppose those afflicted have been possessed by demons? I have yet to perform a successful exorcism, or do you think instead they are merely the sickly?"

*The Lord Captain groans can be heard faintly as the man flicks again*

"Thirdly, how would you say is the best way to spread the word of Christ in these times? You and your radio station are of sure service to the Lord, but for one such as I who has little knowledge or access to these devices, how would you suggest I go about most effectively spreading the good word?"

*The flip-book can be heard closing as the Lord Captain mumbles to himself in the background noise*

"It is truly a pleasure to hear your broadcast every Sunday, I hope you continue your service. Should you ever want to discuss the faith be sure to come visit, or perhaps I shall come to you some time. Farewell for now! God Bless!"

*The radio cuts silent*

Father David is woken by Cem as dawn breaks. Cem seems overly excited to share some news and proceeds to explain how he heard a message from a religious man called Elijah. He wrote what he could but his written English isn’t the best.

He passes Father David the radio and goes off to finish his wild boar stew.

Father David tries to make out what Cem has written down.

“Hello Elijah. Please forgive me, im reading someones notes so I hope this all makes sense. I must say it is heart warming to hear there are others who still strive to spread faith out there. I had felt I was very much alone.

I also note you are a chaplin also. I was ordained in the british army many years ago now…. Too many to count but its well over 30!

Im not familiar with your international versions of the bible but there are so many examples for me that bring me what I need at different times but as you asked my thoughts on the current state of the world, I will share with you a passage from Revelations which may also answer this question…..

“And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God”

For a number of months after the outbreak I did think that the infected were indeed possessed by Demons as they were so enraged and they would not stop and reason or communicate, just rage. However, they can be killed like a mortal creature so my theory on that has moved. I now believe that those that are still walking the earth like ourselves are the chosen ones. It is our duty to repair the damage done by previous generations. Those that are long passed are the forgiven. They have been given quick passage to heaven and those that now inhabit the earth that many call infected, I believe are the ones most guilty of sin. It has been decided by god to let these people walk the earth in this state for as long as their mortal body will carry them. There is no redemption for these sinners.

I am also ashamed to see many people of the faith amongst these sinners.

On your last question about spreading the word. I did spend some time working with the prison, meeting and talking with some very troubled souls, but the message was short and did not reach far. That is why I now work with the radio but I must say, it is very hard to keep our broadcasts regular. We spend so much time on daily chores and repairing our radio station from damage by thieves, its hard to find time to time to get any real broadcasting done.

You are more than welcome to call by for chat whenever you like. I still have some Yorkshire tea left although my supply is almost gone. I will need to find some chernarussian alternative but im not hoping for any quality there. We are at the radio station on Altar hill.

He puts down the radio and goes back under his blanket trying to block out the sound of Cem bashing pots around.

*an old voices again clicks onto the radio waves*

Once again we stand in the end times of humanity and once again we will rebuild from the ashes, from the fall of the bronze age to the black plague to the great infection we have today. When we finally do perish from this earth, you will come face to face with either your creator, the creators of others believes, maybe the ancient gods of yore. Or nothing. We can have faith in what we believes comes after but we can not prove it. I ask you all, what If the after life you meet is different from what you believe in?

Stay safe all, swing by Zelenogorsk sometime father, I have some friends and neighbors that might want a sermon, also we got some good steaks.

This is Colonel Michael out

*the old man releases his radio handmic*

Sign in to follow this