Server time (UTC): 2020-08-14, 19:12
Sign in to follow this  
Fuhqnugget

Reduction and removal of craftable storage

Hear me out,

Loot hoarders hurt this server, doing this make it to where the amount of items in a base can easily peak in the 30+ range rather then 20+ with just fences. This causes more items to be loaded in upon reaching a base, and thus can more easily cause performance issues.

I've came back around a month and a half ago due from around a 4 month gap of playing. I left when we were just getting rid of wood storage and even then I was still able to found the occasional AK. In my month and a half of playing, I've only managed to find 1 M4 and 2 UMPs.

This is an issue. The loot tables are horrible. Yes, these weapons should be rare, but after a month of searching you should wield at least more than one m4 (I have yet to actually find an ak).

I remember when tents were difficult to find, and we all had to use storage boxes. The loot hoarding there wasn't great as well, but my point to make with this is that it's even more unhealthy at the moment considering we can craft tents that can hold 2 to 3 weapons each.

So, in order to,

1- reduce loot hoarding and restabilize the poor tables all over the map

2- improve overall performance and reduce the amount of items and objects needed to load whenever a single base comes into view,

I believe we should have a map wipe and drastically reduce the amount of spawns of tents and storage devices, as well as completely remove the ability to craft these. After the decision is made as to whether or not we are keeping building I also believe that wood storage should be limited to 1 per base.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this subject. 

P.S.

A vote without a voice is altogether useless as it does not apply any reasoning for 'yes' or 'no.'

Edit:

Removed poll as it discourages proper thoughtful answers and simply limits it to no or yes. I'd live to hear response that add in to this, as to why we shouldn't or why we should. Give alternatives.

Also, this is more of a discussion then anything. I don't believe anything will come of this post, but we cannot deny that server latency and loot tables is an issue lately and it needs fixed.

Yes or no doesn't help the community. Being insightful does.

Edited by Fuhqnugget

I have wiped all ~450 improvised tents from the map. I have also set their lifetime down from 14 to 3 days, because they are so cheap to make. That should hopefully make them less feasible for long term base storage. With next DayZRP patch we can also modify the required materials to create an improvised tent, since the mod author who created it clearly set it far too low.

32 minutes ago, Roland said:

I have wiped all ~450 improvised tents from the map. I have also set their lifetime down from 14 to 3 days, because they are so cheap to make. That should hopefully make them less feasible for long term base storage. With next DayZRP patch we can also modify the required materials to create an improvised tent, since the mod author who created it clearly set it far too low.

Thank you.  Crafted wood storage changed as well?

Yes, that was also set to 3 days lifetime.

@Roland So when you say 3 day life does this mean when you build the tent on monday its gone thursday, or is it 3 days from someone touching it last.

Just want to confirm this as I don't want to feel like i did the other night when all my tents went *Poof*. 🙂 

Keep up the Great Work. 

6 minutes ago, JJRambow said:

@Roland So when you say 3 day life does this mean when you build the tent on monday its gone thursday, or is it 3 days from someone touching it last.

Just want to confirm this as I don't want to feel like i did the other night when all my tents went *Poof*. 🙂 

Keep up the Great Work. 

All info is here:

Sounds good, Roland.

Is it possible that there may be a server wipe soon? 

I'm interested to see how the loot tables have been effected with the tent wipe. 

The improved crafting recipe sounds like a good work around as well, and if what I heard is correct the other tent spawns have been reduced by half, right?

How much did the tent wipe helps with the overall current server performance?

No wipe planned, unless all hell breaks lose and server refuses to work. The mass tent and manual base cleanups have yielded good performance increases so I'm pleased with that so far. It almost doubled the server performance. I want to avoid deleting the large bases that are currently in use at all costs. Because all loot inside those deleted tents was also removed, the economy should have already started to recover.

I was thinking about this last time Roland did a stream on server performance. It would be better to just remove craftable storage and then increase all of the different storage items like lockers, tents, and barrels.  

That's what I was thinking Zero.

As is craftable storage incentivizes people to make bases and hoard gear. If craftable storage is removed it'd become more of a chore to do so, and thus smaller groups may find it more beneficial to just constantly be on the move (which is honestly better anyway as there is less of a chance of getting everything stolen). 

I'd love to see small group caravans. With like 3 or 4 people holding rifles and normal backpacks and a couple people using tactical rucksacks and acting as the 'pack mule.' It'd be cool seeing the campfires placed by these guys.

@Roland, is it possible for tents to give passive buffs when around, as to enhance RP for placing them down and actually carrying them around with you? I love carrying a tent around for RP purposes, but placing a tent for any reason other then to store items is utterly useless in terms of actual gameplay.

Edited by Fuhqnugget

The mass tent and manual base cleanups have yielded good performance increases so I'm pleased with that so far. It almost doubled the server performance.

I drive a ton in dayz, and i barely noticed any stuttering or lag today while driving around beacuse of the cleanup.
Im completely for the idea of reducing storage abilitys if that means better server performace.