Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 14:32 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Queerios

VPN Detected

So, I promised the boys when my Uni fixed the internet in my flat that I'd play a bit of DayZ and join the good fight for the Trade Union. Two months down the line, they get round to it and the internet is fixed. However, when I try to connect to the server I keep getting kicked for "VPN Detected".

Now, I don't use a VPN, perhaps I should but its something I've never looked into. The only thing I can think that might be is the Uni Wifi that I'm using. As the main connection, the notorious Eduroam, blocks most gaming related programs/apps, I can't use it so I'm having to use the Guest Wifi network which is a cloud ran hotspot. 

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this sort of stuff, so does anyone know a way I can get ingame or is my goose cooked?

Note: I contacted my Uni and they've said there's nothing they can/will do about this as its a very localised problem.  

Edited by Queerios

Greetings,

As far as I'm aware Roland has recently installed a protection programme that stops VPN's from being used on the servers. The only way to get around this is to use a connection that isn't a VPN unfortunately.

Guess I'm screwed then.

Ah well, you can close this up Saunders or do whatever you need to, cheers for the speedy reply ❤️ 

Hold on, why can't we use VPN's ? 

People in the discord were on about using VPN's to get better connection to the server... i.e. lower latency because of less hops
I was about to get one too, damnit... 😞 

Yes @GnArnold, not entirely sure how it works but i was recently made aware that a VPN protection programme had been installed.

I have the same problem, I use a virtual machine to play games and run everything off a MacBook. There is no way to turn off the VPN and there is no other way for me to play.

I assume you will just get the same answer as I did when I asked what to do and tried to explain what my problem was/is ''Then you won't be able to continue playing using that service, sorry.'' So I guess you will just have to go to your local McDonald's and use their WiFi to play from now on or stop playing.

I'm sad to say that after 6-7 years of being a part of this community I have been forced to leave because a damn VPN Protection was installed. 

Edited by EvanPVE

Yeah, it bothers me to have to disable features ensuring the safety and privacy of my data just to play games. Could we at least have the rationale behind the decision? I'm not contesting that decision but I am genuinely curious as to what lead to that change. @Roland, if you would care to enlighten the masses at your earliest convenience, that'd be swell.

I imagine its to stop folk circumventing bans, though I could be wrong 

30 minutes ago, Queerios said:

Would you like the thread closed? 

2 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Would you like the thread closed? 

Might aswell leave it up until Rolle gets back to Pontiff. After that the big man or one of yous can close the thread if/when you see fit.

1 hour ago, EvanPVE said:

I have the same problem, I use a virtual machine to play games and run everything off a MacBook. There is no way to turn off the VPN and there is no other way for me to play.

I assume you will just get the same answer as I did when I asked what to do and tried to explain what my problem was/is ''Then you won't be able to continue playing using that service, sorry.'' So I guess you will just have to go to your local McDonald's and use their WiFi to play from now on or stop playing.

I'm sad to say that after 6-7 years of being a part of this community I have been forced to leave because a damn VPN Protection was installed. 

Small price to pay to prevent permabanned players from returning on new accounts with VPNs, among other problems associated with VPNs.

However, see this as a joyful step in the process of upgrading into a proper rig that is actually intended to run the games, rather than a VM.

Yea no, with the amount of DDOSing that has gone on in this community it’d be nice if we could actually prevent it.

24 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Small price to pay to prevent permabanned players from returning on new accounts with VPNs, among other problems associated with VPNs.

However, see this as a joyful step in the process of upgrading into a proper rig that is actually intended to run the games, rather than a VM.

It's not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.

I sold my gaming computer almost 2 years ago to with a VM made specifically for gaming, not just a regular VM. I did it for work purposes, ease of access and because of the lowered cost of running one compared to having my own. There is no way I am going to spend thousands on a new high end gaming rig, just so I can play DayZRP, who would do that? It's not like I'm buying a gaming rig to play other games as well, it is ONLY to access DayZRP, everything else works fine. Plus i would have to keep the VM for work and other things, so again, who would actually do such a thing?

I see the point in it, but how would you feel if you were forced to not play again? Just say fuck it, it is for the greater good? I've been here since the MOD days, supported the community in the ways I could and all I get is basically a ''Bad luck'', Ridiculous. 

Put yourself in my place.

38 minutes ago, EvanPVE said:

I sold my gaming computer almost 2 years ago to with a VM made specifically for gaming, not just a regular VM. I did it for work purposes, ease of access and because of the lowered cost of running one compared to having my own. There is no way I am going to spend thousands on a new high end gaming rig, just so I can play DayZRP, who would do that? It's not like I'm buying a gaming rig to play other games as well, it is ONLY to access DayZRP, everything else works fine. Plus i would have to keep the VM for work and other things, so again, who would actually do such a thing?

I see the point in it, but how would you feel if you were forced to not play again? Just say fuck it, it is for the greater good? I've been here since the MOD days, supported the community in the ways I could and all I get is basically a ''Bad luck'', Ridiculous. 

I can, however switching to a VM was the bad move in my opinion.

I would have rather recommended you kept your rig and bought a smaller, cheaper laptop for work, but then again it depends what work you do.

But it really is a moot point, hindsight never helps anyone.

If the only thing you play on the VM is DayZRP, I'd say you are still spending your money in the wrong place however.

1 hour ago, EvanPVE said:

That's shit and the kinda sad that you're just getting told get a new PC

No more alts using VPNs sounds good, maybe ask rolland to add your ip to a list if that sorta feature is a thing.

Edited by Eagle

49 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I can, however switching to a VM was the bad move in my opinion.

I would have rather recommended you kept your rig and bought a smaller, cheaper laptop for work, but then again it depends what work you do.

But it really is a moot point, hindsight never helps anyone.

If the only thing you play on the VM is DayZRP, I'd say you are still spending your money in the wrong place however.

I switched almost 2 years ago and the only problem I've ever had is this, there has been no other problems at all, so i don't see why it was a bad move.

I handle sensitive information and data and need access to it all the time at any time, so a VM is essential for the work I do and In general it is the best choice gaming wise that I've ever made. Free upgrades, free internet, no maintenance, low cost, accessibility from anywhere with internet, how could anyone say that is a bad decision to make. 

You can't compare me switching to a VM almost 2 years ago to Roland installing a VPN protection last week and then calling my decision a bad choice.

I don't JUST play DayZRP on the VM? Who ever said that? I said I would have to buy a high end gaming rig for the sole reason of playing DayZRP, there would be no other reason for me to buy a rig when the VM I have right now can handle any game and max settings. So buying a high end gaming rig just to ACCES DayZRP, that would spending my money in the wrong places.

(Ohh and if I just used my VM to play DayZRP, it would be a much better investment than buying a gaming rig, just saying.)

What I am being told is basically to spend thousands to fix a problem I had no hand in or control over, or stop playing.

What happened to staff checking IP's?

8 minutes ago, Harvey said:

What happened to staff checking IP's?

The Moderators still do IP checks.

Im not a fan of VPNs not being allowed. There has been DDos attacks in the past and now we cant do anything to prevent it

I thought it has always been disallowed, back in 2013 it wasn’t when did it change that you could, it’s not that deep 

7 hours ago, noir said:

I thought it has always been disallowed, back in 2013 it wasn’t when did it change that you could, it’s not that deep 

ummmm it just changed. thats why the thread was made. And it is that deep when theres a threat of your security getting breached and you have businesses  running off your internet

Edited by Gatorr

On 11/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, Queerios said:

Correct. It's an additional layer of security to find players attempting to circumvent a ban. I can't go into details about the check itself since it would be counter-productive if I revealed how it work. No, there's nothing you can do except to stop using VPN. No, it currently cannot be disabled for individual players. I'm sorry.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Correct. It's an additional layer of security to find players attempting to circumvent a ban. I can't go into details about the check itself since it would be counter-productive if I revealed how it work. No, there's nothing you can do except to stop using VPN. No, it currently cannot be disabled for individual players. I'm sorry.

Its all good Rolle, at the end of the day you gotta do what you think is best for the server. Gutted as this is something that's out of my control, but its not the end of the world, I'll just have to wait till the summer holidays to play. 

I'd like for @Pontiff and @EvanPVE to get the chance to say their piece before the thread is locked up if that's okay, if not you can do as you please with it. 

Edited by Queerios

My ''piece'' will be an official goodbye at some point, since there is no way for me to continue playing here.