Server time (UTC): 2019-12-12, 07:08 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
s8tanity

DayZRP

What I wouldn't do to go back to 2015.

1 hour ago, Squillium said:

Honestly the best roleplayers are perma-banned or don’t play.

^^^

This is the biggest problem of the community, in my opinion (red highlight is my own doing).

53 minutes ago, William89 said:

^^^

This is the biggest problem of the community, in my opinion (red highlight is my own doing).

Some people don't learn from punishments, and some people don't rehabilitate or change their behavior, despite punishment or attempts at teaching them to behave differently.

We have community guidelines for a reason, it is to keep a sense of order and structure, a certain level of safety in the community, where no one is afraid of saying whats on their mind with fear of being flamed to death or witch hunted for an opinion, something that, even with the safety net we have still isn't completely possible.

Users who continuously violate the trust and rules that they are asked to follow to play here, and continuously given chances to learn from their behavior with no sign of changing need to be dealt with accordingly, as it becomes painfully obvious after the 6th, 7th and maybe 15th report verdicts/violations that the user has no intention of actually following the guidelines, let alone keeping the level of respect towards others that is required to be part of this community.

Why should they be allowed to stay?

Why should we waste time and effort giving these people yet another chance to disappoint and ruin it for everyone else?

11 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Some people don't learn from punishments, and some people don't rehabilitate or change their behavior, despite punishment or attempts at teaching them to behave differently.

We have community guidelines for a reason, it is to keep a sense of order and structure, a certain level of safety in the community, where no one is afraid of saying whats on their mind with fear of being flamed to death or witch hunted for an opinion, something that, even with the safety net we have still isn't completely possible.

Users who continuously violate the trust and rules that they are asked to follow to play here, and continuously given chances to learn from their behavior with no sign of changing need to be dealt with accordingly, as it becomes painfully obvious after the 6th, 7th and maybe 15th report verdicts/violations that the user has no intention of actually following the guidelines, let alone keeping the level of respect towards others that is required to be part of this community.

Why should they be allowed to stay?

Why should we waste time and effort giving these people yet another chance to disappoint and ruin it for everyone else?

For a lot of better roleplayers, they ended up getting banned on purpose because of the state of DayZRP and how events were unfolding with how the server was being run. Once you reach a certain amount of banned people in a community (including numerous former staff members) you seriously have to ask yourself what the real problems are.

Edited by Squillium

2 minutes ago, Squillium said:

For a lot of better roleplayers, they ended up getting banned on purpose because of the state of DayZRP and how events were unfolding with how the server was being run. Once you reach a certain amount of banned people in a community (including numerous former staff members) you seriously have yourself what the real problems are.

Their prior status does not justify their actions.

It doesn't matter if you were previously in staff or not, you are held to the same rule-set and standard as everyone else, and if you disagree with the system or the way things are run, there are ways you can make a change that does not involve breaking community guidelines.

If you want to make a change, and you want to do that by protest, there are ways you can do that, such as a mass exodus, or a well formed petition, or other forms of peaceful discourse, there are ways to voice your concerns and show your numbers without breaking community guidelines.

22 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Their prior status does not justify their actions.

It doesn't matter if you were previously in staff or not, you are held to the same rule-set and standard as everyone else, and if you disagree with the system or the way things are run, there are ways you can make a change that does not involve breaking community guidelines.

If you want to make a change, and you want to do that by protest, there are ways you can do that, such as a mass exodus, or a well formed petition, or other forms of peaceful discourse, there are ways to voice your concerns and show your numbers without breaking community guidelines.

I'm not saying they handled it in the best way. But if you're gonna sit here and act like the amount of banned people in this community is OK, especially when there are numerous well respected former staff and high quality RPers who are on the list you're not living in reality. No one deserves a "free pass", but when you have so many people that go so pissed that they said "fuck it" and got themselves perm'd after all they did to help cultivate this community you need to be realistic and accept the fact that something is wrong on both sides at the very least.

1 minute ago, Squillium said:

I'm not saying they handled it in the best way. But if you're gonna sit here and act like the amount of banned people in this community is OK, especially when there are numerous well respected former staff and high quality RPers who are on the list you're not living in reality. No one deserves a "free pass", but when you have so many people that go so pissed that they said "fuck it" and got themselves perm'd after all they did to help cultivate this community you need to be realistic and accept the fact that something is wrong on both sides at the very least.

I'm afraid I cannot agree with that, because I find the statement to be a pretense.

The number of permabanned users does not directly imply or even suggest that there is an issue with the system, the only factual piece of evidence it can suggest by itself is that a high number of users are unable to follow community guidelines repeatedly and end up getting excluded from said community.

When you propose that the system is flawed, and your argument is the number of users being punished then you are misrepresenting that statistic to support your opinion.

Please remember that these permabanned users were validly and not invalidly permbanned from this community.

If your argument that the system is flawed would have any merit, it would have to imply that they were invalidly or unfairly punished.

Just because your intentions are good does not mean your actions are excusable, if you want to make a change you need to go through the proper means, not call for revolution and set things on fire.

In a community we tend to solve things based on a majority, this is the way democracy works in real life too.

A certain percentage either votes on a decision, or a person to be put in charge of making that decision, and the majority vote wins.

It is important to note that a majority means a majority of the whole community, I had another discussion not to long ago about how to achieve a majority vote, and the requirements you may need in order to statistically prove that you have the majority which I encourage you to read up on if you want to make a change, it shouldn't be too far back on my feed.

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

In a community we tend to solve things based on a majority, this is the way democracy works in real life too.

A certain percentage either votes on a decision, or a person to be put in charge of making that decision, and the majority vote wins.

You're acting like Rolle cares how many people vote in polls on the forums. He doesn't; he blatantly disregards what the community wants in many of the discussions that have been had.

This is a business, not a community, and is not even close to a democracy. To ignore that fact is just willful ignorance.

Willful ignorance is also acting like the massive amount of people who once volunteered their time for the community have gotten themselves banned or left due to how the community has been run ISN'T a sign of obvious problems.

Edited by Dusty

18 minutes ago, Dusty said:

You're acting like Rolle cares how many people vote in polls on the forums. He doesn't; he blatantly disregards what the community wants in many of the discussions that have been had.

This is a business, not a community, and is not even close to a democracy. To ignore that fact is just willful ignorance.

I genuinely believe Rolle has the communities interests at heart and that he very much does care about our opinions, so long as we are able to properly articulate them and argue our points. So far I have not seen him make a decision that the majority of the community disagrees with.

Lets talk about that fast travel poll shall we?

I've yet to see it implemented, so far it has not been added and no change has been made that has gone against the majority of the community, and it doesn't seem like it is going to be put through any time soon either.

Do you posses a link to a poll where the majority of the community argues against a change, and rolle went ahead and did it anyway?

And just so we are clear here, and on the same page, lets define what a majority vote is.

Is it fair to say that, in order to get a majority community vote, you need at least 51% of the active player base at the time to vote in favor or against?

I'd like to think that is a fair portrayal of a majority, a statistical majority representing the current playing populace of DayZRP.

As of this week, 901 users have visited our game servers, a poll created this week would need to reach at least 451 votes for, or against in order to reach majority.  Agreed?

EDIT:

18 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Willful ignorance is also acting like the massive amount of people who once volunteered their time for the community have gotten themselves banned or left due to how the community has been run ISN'T a sign of obvious problems.

I assure you that this is not an act, I do not see a problem with the amount of permabanned people, however I am unpleasantly surprised by the sheer number of people incapable of expressing their concerns and wish for change in a manner that does not involve violating the community guidelines.

Edited by Ducky

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'm afraid I cannot agree with that, because I find the statement to be a pretense.

The number of permabanned users does not directly imply or even suggest that there is an issue with the system, the only factual piece of evidence it can suggest by itself is that a high number of users are unable to follow community guidelines repeatedly and end up getting excluded from said community.

It's not just the number, it's the amount of people that have contributed to this community much more than you or I and found something so wrong they found the need to get themselves banned. There's no point in this argument because you're not willing to see my perspective. Bottom line is there's a lot of people that have done a lot for this community who got banned and we're objectively worse off for it. No group in the last 2 years has stuck out to me nearly as much as The Masquerade, The Kingdom, Akrasia, L.I.F.E., or The Plantation and a large portion of there members are either perm'd or sick of this place. 

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Is it fair to say that, in order to get a majority community vote, you need at least 51% of the active player base at the time to vote in favor or against?

I'd like to think that is a fair portrayal of a majority, a statistical majority representing the current playing populace of DayZRP.

As of this week, 901 users have visited our game servers, a poll created this week would need to reach at least 451 votes for, or against in order to reach majority.  Agreed?

If you want to have a voice go on the forums and voice it. If only 10% of a country decides to vote the outcome is still accepted. They have every ability to go to vote for whatever they want.

It's not just the number, it's the amount of people that have contributed to this community much more than you or I and found something so wrong they found the need to get themselves banned. There's no point in this argument because you're not willing to see my perspective. Bottom line is there's a lot of people that have done a lot for this community who got banned and we're objectively worse off for it. No group in the last 2 years has stuck out to me nearly as much as The Masquerade, The Kingdom, Akrasia, L.I.F.E., or The Plantation and a large portion of there members are either perm'd or sick of this place. 

It is not that I do not see things from your point of view, I very much do. I just disagree.

I understand why you may feel that their contributions heavily outweigh their final wrong-doings that led to their exclusions, despite understanding that, I still disagree, I do not believe we should pander to emotion and use the good to justify the bad.

I hold no ill will towards you, I simply disagree with you.

If you want to have a voice go on the forums and voice it. If only 10% of a country decides to vote the outcome is still accepted. They have every ability to go to vote for whatever they want.

I did state active players. I am sure that we can both agree, if a player is actively playing and invested, they will surely voice their opinion on a poll, if at the very least cast their vote, and should they not then perhaps the vote itself is redundant? And no change is warranted in the first place?

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

where no one is afraid of saying whats on their mind with fear of being flamed to death or witch hunted for an opinion

In my experience, I have only seen the opposite. People who are afraid of speaking their minds because they can get permabanned if they say what they think. The degree of censorship in DayZRP is EXTREME, and there are even posts in other websites, like reddit, where they make nasty comments about our community. In my opinion some of these are well deserved. Look at this thread that I posted once, and it GOT CLOSED WITHIN 90 MINUTES:

Spoiler

There are people who RP in the forums.

People who are forced to pretend that they are sorry without being sorry.

Because they have no reason to feel sorry, in my opinion.

ONE example: exploiting a glitch in the item shop. This may be wrong, but it's nothing to be really sorry about. They were not hackers.

ANOTHER example: if people don't say that they are sorry, they don't get their "final warning appeal" accepted after the "amnesty"-like thing for which they paid. And why should they be sorry after they paid for their "crimes", some which were, in my opinion, rather small or imaginary? (like the "crimes" of the tendie war, which I did not witness, but I have heard of that).

And I could go on, but I am afraid of speaking my mind! XD!

Any time that I look at old threads, I see that half of the people who once posted there are now permabanned!!!!!

Edited by William89

4 hours ago, William89 said:

In my experience, I have only seen the opposite. People who are afraid of speaking their minds because they can get permabanned if they say what they think. The degree of censorship in DayZRP is EXTREME, and there are even posts in other websites, like reddit, where they make nasty comments about our community. In my opinion some of these are well deserved. Look at this thread that I posted once, and it GOT CLOSED WITHIN 90 MINUTES:

Hide contents

There are people who RP in the forums.

People who are forced to pretend that they are sorry without being sorry.

Because they have no reason to feel sorry, in my opinion.

ONE example: exploiting a glitch in the item shop. This may be wrong, but it's nothing to be really sorry about. They were not hackers.

ANOTHER example: if people don't say that they are sorry, they don't get their "final warning appeal" accepted after the "amnesty"-like thing for which they paid. And why should they be sorry after they paid for their "crimes", some which were, in my opinion, rather small or imaginary? (like the "crimes" of the tendie war, which I did not witness, but I have heard of that).

And I could go on, but I am afraid of speaking my mind! XD!

Any time that I look at old threads, I see that half of the people who once posted there are now permabanned!!!!!

You will not get permabanned for speaking your mind, unless you are in violation of the community guidelines.

You can very easily express your concern, distaste or otherwise disagreements without needing to insult, mock or otherwise harass the other party or the intended recipient.

Your thread was closed with the reason being: 

We already have this system you ask for in place.

What does this have to do with censorship? Your thread was not censored, your opinion was not ignored and the post was certainly not removed, it was simply closed because the issue has already been tackled and dealt with.

Moving on to your comment on Amnesty, if you believe paying for your crimes is what amnesty is fore, then you have completely missed the point.

You aren't paying for your points or previous history to be omitted, forgotten and forgiven, you are paying for a second chance in a community where you failed to uphold the same standard as everyone else, and because you failed in the first place, extra restrictions are placed on you, to remind you not to return to your previously problematic behavior.

And if you consider the tendies light-hearted infractions then you really have the view upside down.

Those people posted despicable things, nasty personally targeted comments at several members of the community, including photoshopped pictures with grossly inappropriate content. The content and behavior of those who decided to 'tendie' can best describe as bigoted and racially motivated and overall violent/destructive.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you are perfectly allowed to voice it as long as you stay within the community guidelines, there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Thought this was a just a thread about a guy loving the server now people going deep haha.
Money talks simple as.

16 hours ago, Squillium said:

Dayum... I remember having to work the fields for Plantation day in and day out when I were caught trying to loot in there "areas". It was beautiful RP. Definitely hostileRP but it was actually fun and engaging.  Those days are long gone though unfortunately.   Having long standoffs with Akrasia like one event that stands out where we were surrounded in a the green walkup house just North of Vybor. They charged in and a dozen or us, victims and attackers died, due to a grendade that I screwed up dropping instead of throwing. OOCly we laughed it off with no ill will and no reports.  Or when Anarchy ruled the server when King Louie was running them.

That is the type of hostile RP that needs to come back. It brings a tear to my eye this is all now deep and buried...

Edited by Ansolari
Need to english better