Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 22:41 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Aristocrat

An Ode to the Bayonet

The future role of bayonets in DayZRP. Beard trimmer or lethal weapon? You decide.  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who is man's best friend?

Many would say the humble hound, an unquestionably loyal, brave and steadfast companion. Others would suggest the cunning cat, a prudent, self-cleaning vermin disposal machine and a reliable source of internet humour. I however would make the case for mankind's oldest and most adaptable multi-tool, the pointed stick. From time immemorial it has been the implement of choice for hunting, personal protection and scratching one's back. Like all things born of man, it grew with us over time, bronze replaced flint, steel superseded iron and lasers will slice through everything. Yet throughout its varied history the fundamental principle remained the same, "There is something over there, I wish to poke it from over here." Even the advent of gunpowder could not shake this strange infatuation with poking things from afar. Attaching cutlery to our peashooters we forsook the safety of range for the perverse pleasure of jabbing someone across the dining table of war. To this new marriage of technology and tradition we gave the name bayonet.

Thus it has long been a source of heartache for me that this noble friend of man has been subjected to inexcusable neglect within the world of DayZ. When Bohemia first breathed life into their cold, steel bodies they were little more than cosmetic frivolities. For years, they sat on the end of my rifles like sad, little hood ornaments; limp, impotent, devoid of life. You can imagine my elation then when someone made a laudable effort to give fresh purpose to this most venerable of weapons. Alas, the brief embers of joy smouldering within the damp depths of my British heart were conjured by a cruel jape, one that I shall expose to you now. This shocking footage demonstrates the downright deplorable way the developers have once again attempted to make a mockery of our reliable comrade in arms.

Bayonet.gif.4ba3c5b447a71fc3913b02b73f117e9a.gif

What you have just witnessed, ladies and gentlemen, was a very scientific attempt to measure precisely how many hits it would take to strike our infected foes down. Unfortunately, a dip in my sensibilities saw it quickly devolve into a tragic exercise in frustration, futility and an alarming example of test subject brutality. This violent outburst was the product of discovering that my carefully crafted hypothesis is now defunct.

Accuracy + Attack duration * Stamina = Big Damage

Given the degree of accuracy required, the length of the attack animation and the hefty stamina costs involved, one would expect such a thrust to do considerably more than waft a fragrant breeze in the face of one's foe. This is indeed an unfortunate state of affairs as, I think you'll agree, it would undoubtedly be more immersive for people to use the tried and tested pointy stick, than to risk everything by relying on their fancy, newfangled broadswords.

Luckily, unlike the physics of our own world, we can do something about this deplorable state of affairs. I humbly implore you, the good denizens of this forum, to rise up and restore dignity to the art of poking things. No longer shall man's pointy best friend be left to rust in the scrap yards of Chernarus, no longer shall we have to live in fear of being unduly walloped, whacked or whomped, no longer shall frightened children have to watch as I, Aristocrat, angrily bifurcate the recently re-animated corpses of their deceased relatives. Give Timmy's parents a swift death, give them the bayonet.

Edited by Aristocrat

I will try to see if there is a way for us to increase the melee damage of weapons with bayonets attached, should atleast explore the possibility before we decide it needs to be done.

All of the melee weapons in the game at the moment are just wet towels. It shouldn't take 10 good wacks with a shovel or baseball bat to kill a zombie. Maybe look into adjusting the damage for regular melee weapons as well? @Ducky

1 minute ago, dawsonpark said:

All of the melee weapons in the game at the moment are just wet towels. It shouldn't take 10 good wacks with a shovel or baseball bat to kill a zombie. Maybe look into adjusting the damage for regular melee weapons as well? @Ducky

If you wanna manually go in and adjust the damage of every single melee weapon in the game then be my guest man, but that's the same kind of repetitive work I did working in IT, I still have nightmares about installing Windows 7 on 82 office computers from the same fucking USB drive.

One at a fucking time.

Just now, Ducky said:

If you wanna manually go in and adjust the damage of every single melee weapon in the game then be my guest man, but that's the same kind of repetitive work I did working in IT, I still have nightmares about installing Windows 7 on 82 office computers from the same fucking USB drive.

One at a fucking time.

Wasn't really asking you to do it all alone, more just wondering if it was possible. I'd be glad to do it if I was trusted to do so. Since I hate the melee in the game so much in it's current state.

2 minutes ago, dawsonpark said:

Wasn't really asking you to do it all alone, more just wondering if it was possible. I'd be glad to do it if I was trusted to do so. Since I hate the melee in the game so much in it's current state.

It's absolutely possible, just tedious

6 hours ago, Ducky said:

It's absolutely possible, just tedious

If you make it happen, and make bayonets great again, you will be a hero! I do agree that melee weapons are a little weak though. Have they always been that way? 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

Some realistic melee weapon damage would be very nice. 

I'm generally on the 'buff melee' train, but something really weird I noticed was that the fireaxe does a lot of damage; it can kill zombies with one hit to the head, even with a light swing. I couldn't get that to happen with the regular wood axe, or the hatchet, but I could with the fireaxe. Nooooo clue what the heck is going on there.