Server time (UTC): 2019-11-15, 08:48
Deer Isle Purge
ONGOING | 2019-11-15 00:01:00 (server time) | Ends in 12 hours, 11 minutes | Deer Isle Server | PvP
Sign in to follow this  
Mikkel Andre

How is the RP at this current state?

Hello so i am just wondering if the servers RP is still hardcore like seen in MrMoons video, or is it not that hardcore anymore, like shooting all the time? Robbing all the time? 

Edited by Mikkel Andre

Depends who you ask... but I would say more like the second part. 😕

@Mikkel Andre I don't think that everybody is shooting and robbing all the time in the server. The server has other problems, but this is not one of them.

I think that, if you liked Mr Moon's video you will enjoy playing (either here, or in the other server where Mr Moon is currently playing).

If you join you will find that, after the events in Mr Moon's video, "The Time" became "Anarchy", and they achieved what no other group has ever achieved: absolute dominance above all the other groups. Nobody can defeat them. Chernarus is living a dark age.

I miss the CTF, the Watch, the Mafia, the Time, the Hilltop, the real Wolf Pack, the "hands up don't shoot" group... XD!

Depends on how you make it. Find a group and you will have roleplay. Players are getting harder to find so finding a group is the best thing to do.

It's a hard go most days considering the level of ultra hostility that seems to be ongoing. thick skin is a definite requirement... 

Give it a test drive. 

You can always meet a few special out there who wander the roads looking for others like you.

Thing with mr moons video is it’s all edited so much around his group so you don’t see half of what happens on the server. 

However... it’s what you make of it! And how you deal with the situations for your character. 

Ive been back here 2 days and again have really enjoyed the interactions I have found so far! 🙂  

It's in the eyes of the beholder, in other words you need to get in and experience it yourself. If you don't you'll hear some say it's really hostile (It's over 2 yrs into the apocalypse, so maybe it's how it should be) and some say it's great because they love that fear when in game.

I think getting into a group offers some protection but also make you a target. The experience of being a lone wolf or being in a group can differ greatly in how people respond to you in game but remember that your actions/words also have impact on their response. I think the issue is predictability, an assumption of 'Oh no it's this group again, I'm going to be robbed'. It just puts you in the wrong mindset for RP in general instead of going with the flow. You're already having a negative opinion OOC'ly, which is the wrong way to look at the interactions.

Just get in game and see what comes your way, whatever that is embrace it and leave your OOC assumptions at the load in screen.

Edited by Samaritan

If you want to find out how roleplay is in game, you need to get in and experience it yourself. There isn’t much point asking as some people will feel different about things than yourself. I’ve been playing a little bit recently, not long hours like I’ve done before, but enough to understand the roleplay. In my opinion it’s fine. There is hostile roleplay, yes. But from what I have experienced, it’s been fine. Don’t be scared to roleplay because you see radio threads about big bad guys being bullies. Finally, to touch on the comment above about Anarchy. I’ve met them a few times and haven’t experienced anything bad or hostile at all. Maybe because I’m a doctor but who knows. 

But yeah, get in game and experience it yourself! Don’t be persuaded by other people’s views. 

^ Both the last two posts before me

Best thing to see what is going on, is if you get online and give it a try. People will always see it differently what's currently going on, so asking others won't really give you an answer. 

Yes sure, the server is quite hostile right now. Yet honestly, I haven't been robbed once since I started playing here again last November. But that's maybe because of my play style. I am not in an official group, mostly just around 2 or 3 people or sometimes even just a duo, keep myself away from dangerous places I find out IC and yeah... still I got my good roleplay and some conflicts of course as well. So, my point here, it is possible to have good RP. You just need to keep your eyes open.

Thanks @NorwayRP! My character (the one you met) was 16 though  💕

Anyways; no. The RP you saw in MrMoons video is highly edited and scripted (likely) to a degree in order to portray events and drive a narrative in a specific light and direction for the sole purpose of the video to promote the server. Because that’s what he was likely paid to do. PR for DayZRP. To promote interest and drive players to apply and play here. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’ve been here for a fair bit and I know how the RP actually is. 

The RP on the server can go one of a few ways. One; you won’t run into anyone unless you go to well known high pop areas IE; the prison island for example currently. So it’ll be lonely roads until then. Just ask @AndreyQ he made a video about him running around for a fair bit only encountering one or two people as he was not hitting up known hubs. One player of which who shot himself within two minutes if meeting him. Which is a weird thing to do but not because Andreys RP was bad or anything. Guess the dude didn’t want to RP... easier ways to avoid RP besides killing yourself ... ANYWAYS. 

Two; the ones you do encounter randomly out on the road are 99% likely to hold you up and rob you as that is the current state of the server (which comes and goes in waves. We have hostile waves when large hostile groups are in power and then calmer waves when they’re not in power or are preoccupied with wars or other matters). Anarchy is currently “in power” and a large hostile presence. How you get out of that situation is up to you. If you don’t comply you will be shot at. If you’ve got enough men and dank PvP skills you may make it out alive. If not... Don’t get salty you decided to fight back and die.

Or three; you will encounter a random what we lovingly call “campfireRPer” who is not one to engage in overly hostileRP. But they’d sooner flee from you as they’d be concerned about getting robbed again for the second or three time in the same day. But there are some who’d be down to say hi, try not to seem to sketchy (unless that’s the character you’re playing) and you’ll likely have a travel buddy for a fair bit. 

My suggestion? Join the server with a friend or two. Then run around and see what things you can encounter. With a group of three or so you’re less likely to be robbed by a group of two (until the reinforcements arrive so be weary of stalling) and you can (somewhat) safely walk up to camps or hubs and say hi without too much to lose if you’re turned away.  Single or duo non-hositleRPers will still flee from you save those who don’t give a fuck or don’t mind being robbed. 

In short. Join and see for yourself. The RP here is more hostile than other servers, though. So expect to be robbed, shot, killed and maimed. You will lose gear. Your base will be raided over and over until you give it up. You will lose your avatar life. There will be people who don’t care about RP and instead look for vague reasons to kill you that are within the rules. Deal with it. Don’t get salty. Report when you know there’s a rule break. And you will lose and gain friends as well as enemies. Many enemies. Don’t get salty about losing and you’ll be fine. Try and have fun, don’t give into OOC hate and flame. Make sure you are recording your sessions with playsTV or OBS or similar. Be very very VERY familiar with the rules as well. Because you can and will be reported for something you, as a new player, may not know was a rule break. If you’re unsure ask Staff. They tend to be helpful and whatnot and are there to poke about things you’re unsure of. 

2 hours ago, NorwayRP said:

It all depends on what kind of character/person you are. Here are a few examples

A. If your goal is to be the protagonist of the server, rather than just another person in a server of over 500+ active people you are gonna find very quickly that you will get yourself in trouble. Because just like in real life, if you treat everyone you meet as lesser than you, and not up to some artificial standard you hold others to and not yourself. You won't find many friendly faces, or live long.

B. If you plan on playing a generally nice guy, in almost all circumstances when you run into a group. If they are aware of who you are and the fact you are generally an outstanding lad. Even if you are in a group that actively has confrontations with them, they will treat you fairly with respect and with curiosity. Like @Magpiefor example, or @Camo.

C. If your character ends up being known as someone who is overly cocky without any reason, obviously you are gonna get held up, beaten shot etc etc. If you plan on being someone who talks a lot of shit, expect to get robbed. Now section D is very similar but this character has no care at all for the people around him. He doesn't care who his action's hurt he's just a dick for no reason.

D. If you are generally just snarky, or a smart ass there will of course be the Category B. guys who will still spend time with you and get to know you but you will find very quickly that your actions get them in more trouble than they deserve, so either change your ways quick. Or accept you are dooming that super chill dude to a life of pain.

E. This is a special one, its a mix of A, C, and D. this one is called the Radio Warrior. The radio warrior is someone, who while in the beginning may have just been a normal cookie cutter guy. He probably got to Chernarus for a honeymoon, or a plane crash and is in all ways very similar to everyone else in the beginning but over time gained the Protagonist Syndrome where he feels that no matter what the odds, what happens or anything else. His way is God's defined verdict, and will shit talk the "Bad Guy's" (read section G) relentlessly. Often these people are members of groups, which in most cases don't want anything to do with Server Wide conflict. They don't want to be dragged into a war, but do to the actions of the Radio Warrior that's exactly what they've been pulled into. The really unfortunate thing about this mentality of play is, is that at a base level this stereotypical character could be an amazing development. If the player chooses to over time build the character into an egotistical ass-hat who get's his friends into shit due to his folly it can lead to amazing RP. Unfortunately what I've seen happen in a lot of cases is that the mindset of toxicity of the character bleeds into the mindset of the player. Which ends up with the player needlessly shaming other community members and saying their RP is "a cancer that destroys the server" or "absolutely fucking awful, everyone in the group should be perm'd".

G. This section is made up of the Bad Guys, players who specifically desire to be the antagonists to the server. They don't care about being the main antagonist, as long as they can provide realistic conflict, fear, and a sense of community to those who fall in all the other catagories. Because when there is a big bad, everyone bands together to destroy it. Which, if done properly leads to some of the most intense RP, and a healthy dose of friendly rivalry between other groups in this category.

As an aside to G. there are so many people that absolutely hate all people who are in section G. and if any of you who do actually take the time to read all the way down here. I implore you to message me on discord, and tell me why you feel that way. Because based off of all the hate these groups receive and all the personal attacks made against these player with no backlash i'm curious why you'd think it's warranted, and your reasoning to dislike these players.

F. And finally F, I was gonna make a meme section here and say child RPers cause ya know F. Cause so many people wanna ban child RP, which I get to some extent and I've definitely seen some good child RP and I've seen child ERP. Yes ERP, so I can definitely see why people don't want that. So instead of bashing on you child RPers here are some cool lads/lass's who dabble in the child RP before we move on. @HayleighJ @Malthis and @GreenySmiley they are overall pretty chill oh and @Braycesbut she's like 17 or something idk.

Anyone on to the actually section, F section F doesn't see themselves as the main "Protagonist" but the certainly don't want to be an "Antagonist" either. They aren't exceptionally nice, but they aren't asshats, they are a little cocky, and often won't submit after being beaten down a few times. This is the majority of people, they are a healthy mix of all the groupings, but in the end everyone want's to be the main character even if just a very small amount, and I mean everyone. These people are your core player base, those who make up the majority of your time. People with small goals for their characters, and goals as players that try to make it fit in with those around them. Which will always lead to conflict, whether on the small scale or large scale, which often results in fighting, or an all out war. Which, is as history has shown us the natural order of things. War is inevitable there is no reason to deny it. In every facet of Human life conflict is inevitable, but some people have a hard time to either accept it, or move past it an succeed. Group F, of all the different groups has the biggest part to play in this, the determine the health of the server, if they can't accept conflict is inevitable they will push to ban conflict which in the end kills the server. Because without conflict there cannot be a story. Conflict defines a story, and the better the Antagonist (view group G) the more compelling the story.

This is the biggest hurdle when getting into DayZRP, you have to realize it's the apocalypse and you are in a militarized former Soviet-State reeling after a devastating civil war, and a global zombie epidemic. There are many factions lore wise and game wise that want control of South Zagoria. Mexican-Armenian Thugs, American Mercs, Anarchist Groups, Russian Drug Dealers, Corrupt CDF units, Terrorist Cells from Takistan, Caliphates, angry Somalians, even angrier Irish dudes, Ex-NAPA personnel, ChDkZ or Chedaki, Russian Ultranationalists, Russian Military, Spetsnaz, COBR and the list goes on and on and on. All these groups act differently in their goals, their ideologies and their methods. Some pillage everything in sight, some enforce Shariah Law, some wish to restore order to the country, and some sell comfort for memes I guess. ❤️ @Kordruga. But in the end all of these groups were made by people of group G, people who are highly dedicated to the lore and essence of the server in ways that people on the outside couldn't understand. These players like @GaryCash @G19RP @Major @JimRP @FalkRP @Kordruga @StagsviewRB @Diamond @Craig @Eagle and the big Irish lad himself @Ryan Shepherd all put literal countless hours into the lore of their groups, how they should function and the ultimate goals behind their presence in South Zagoria. And in all honesty, these guys combined, probably plus @Stannisand the Aussie lads have put more work into their groups and server lore than the rest of the sever combined. Yet most of them get absolutely shit on OOC for being the bad guys IG which isn't fair.

So in conclusion, the server RP is healthy right now, and as long as we hold true to the idea that conflict breeds story it will maintain to be that way. Server pop is back up with a 15 man queue literally all day, and the game itself feels fresh with the addition of new 3rd party mods. The crucial thing to remember is that everyone on here is a person, and just because their playstyle is very different from yours, or they robbed you and smashed your great grandfather's mosin doesn't mean they are bad people. If you honestly feel upset by something that happened message the person on discord and sort things out.

Also @OiramRPis a cutie

No better words said Norway, we all can fall into categories. I'm a mix but I hate being a protagonist lmao. I'm a great comedic side character at core.

Varies honestly based on who you meet. Typically run in a small group of 3-4 people,  yet very rarely do I get initiated on. Hostile RP happens, but much can be alleviated based on the RP you provide. 

Don't want to get robbed? Don't act like Big Dick McGee all the time. Act realistically as someone in a situation would. 

On the flip side, as mentioned, some people get skittish due to their own encounters and tend to avoid unknowns due to self preservation. 

At the end of it RP is what you make of it. There will be hiccups along the way, but at the same time you need to realize you're not fulfilling a narrative, but rather 1 actor in a much larger dynamic story, and as such at any point you might suddenly find your story takes an unexpected turn. 

The reason why Moon's video portrays the RP in such cool way is due to the narration and smart editing of around 2 months of content. With that said, it doesn't mean that things like that don't happen on the server. They do. But you need to look at it from an RP perspective and try to develop your character and expand your story based on player interactions.

One example that is bound to happen is getting robbed. One could simply get annoyed at it, be done with it and move on pissed that he lost his shit. Another way better perspective would be for the victim to take that as character development and who knows maybe try and find that person and hold them up in return, ask people about it, try and figure out if he is a part of a gang etc. So many possibilities just from one encounter.

Hop IG, talk with people and see where it goes.

Personally, I'd look at the past to be inspired. To get ideas on where I can take my story and also some great enjoyable ways to bring my story into other players' stories. When I hop on the server and learn about what happened while I was at work or asleep, I'm never discouraged. DayZRP is like a blank Canvas for all players. The Lore is the painting supplies. The experienced players and staff are the teachers. Everyone is painting their own story on the canvas. Instead of looking at other people's pictures and getting discouraged, I smile and place my brush on the canvas and create my own wonders!

Paint your own picture and above all... HAVE FUN! 😸

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

Best lesson I ever learned was not taking the pixels seriously. Making people laugh is why I still hop IG, not for stories or deep RP, just for a quick session with mates or randos where everybody has a giggle. There'll be people with sticks up their arses that can't stomach that kinda RP, some people who won't like hostility, some people who will hate sitting around a campfire all day (myself included) but generally most people who don't thrive on misery are down for a laugh.

5 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Personally, I'd look at the past to be inspired. To get ideas on where I can take my story and also some great enjoyable ways to bring my story into other players' stories. When I hop on the server and learn about what happened while I was at work or asleep, I'm never discouraged. DayZRP is like a blank Canvas for all players. The Lore is the painting supplies. The experienced players and staff are the teachers. Everyone is painting their own story on the canvas. Instead of looking at other people's pictures and getting discouraged, I smile and place my brush on the canvas and create my own wonders!

Paint your own picture and above all... HAVE FUN! 😸

What in the fuck did i just read? 

Also yes like people have said before the RP in the video is highly edited and most likely staged to some degree. Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to set it all up dynamically. Kinda like making a movie with actors without giving them a script, it ain't gonna go far.

@NorwayRP laid it down 100%. Do not play on the server with a protagonist mindset because you WILL be disappointed. Other people are not playing here to serve your story, they are also building their story. Unfortunately there are people that play with this protagonist mindset which only leads to drama, ooc hate etc

Edited by NozzyRP

3 hours ago, NorwayRP said:

It all depends on what kind of character/person you are. Here are a few examples

B. If you plan on playing a generally nice guy, in almost all circumstances when you run into a group. If they are aware of who you are and the fact you are generally an outstanding lad. Even if you are in a group that actively has confrontations with them, they will treat you fairly with respect and with curiosity. Like @Magpiefor example, or @Camo.

I joined DayZRP this Summer.  Being new and inexperienced to DayZ and RP in general, while also a little bit slower intellectually/socially IRL, I prefer the 'B.' playstyle.  I like helping people as a 'sidekick' to their adventures.   @NorwayRP's example of how most on DayZRP interact with this playstyle has been very true to my personal experience here so far.  Even from those groups many have deemed as 'hostile'. 

I'm very grateful. I have been given a lot of patience by almost everyone in the playerbase for my slower responses and limited-creativity.  Many have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and a part of the game-world and their group.  I guess, to me, it feels almost like real-life here.  If one is kind, and tries hard to help others...people treat you pretty well.

Edited by EmonOkari

In general it’s absolute dog shit. The only way you will be able to enjoy yourself is if you manage to find a clique to fit into. Most of the time that requires isolating yourself which is also shit because if you end up getting bored anyways.