Server time (UTC): 2019-11-12, 09:35
Sign in to follow this  
NathSnr

Organised Safezone

As far as I am aware, this is not something that has ever happened on the server (at least since I joined DayZRP some time ago). I believe that it would help RP a lot to have a safezone controlled by a large, official faction (the lore of which will be designed by the staff team) that acts as a kind of government within their safezone, which could encompass a fairly large area. This would provide a safezone for people to roleplay in and also an easy way to provide continuous storyline for the server with events leading up to the formation of said safezone and then it's continued operation. This settlement would be a no-combat zone without prior GM approval and does not necessarily have to be some idyllic hippie commune, and instead could be run as an authoritarian police state: but one that, crucially, does more good than bad. They could enforce their laws and mete out harsh punishments for offenders, require citizen registry and other such things and provide rations to eligible citizens.

This is not meant as an attack on hostile roleplayers, but I personally find it to be uninteresting when the majority of large groups are hostile and don't actually add anything to the server. To be clear, I do not consider "good hostility roleplay" to be anything substantial as any halfwit can be play a decent antagonist in the occasional hold-up - this is my personal opinion.

This is just a rough idea but I figured I'd get the conversational ball rolling.

Yeah no. If you want a safe zone, MAKE IT SAFE IC. No OOC rules should make a place “safe”. However due to your opinion on hostile roleplay (which I obviously disagree with) I don’t think there’s anyway to convince you of that. Regardless, to continue with “getting the conversational ball rolling” definitely, definitely, a no from me. 

On your first point, a safe zone does not make RP sense and will not create more RP. It is just going to create awkward situations where people act in a way where they are protected by the rules.

On your second point, I have interacted with almost all of the current groups, and yes they engage in hostile situations when necessary, but they also provide a lot of good non-hostile RP. I have RP'd with Anarchy, Vultures, Dalsi Stranka, New Hope, Odezva, Redwood, and the Runners all in non-hostile ways with really good quality roleplay (never interacted with Undaunted). I'm not sure what you are doing differently, but all of these groups have great RP. Provide good RP and you will reap good RP. If you really think this "good hostile roleplay" is indeed bad or there isn't any good non-hostile roleplay, then make some of your own and I promise you will (most of the time) receive good RP back. 

Cherno regarding wolfpack and legion had a decent thing going on. You could initiate on anyone but the number of people there often outnumbered you so it might as well have been a death sentence or NVFL if you tried anything, but it was basically safezone-ish with regards to trading and their own rules

An official player safezone would require a ton of new rules and would also require a ton of people to do nothing but sit around the safezone all day despite the fact that they wouldnt need to do anything because they are protected by rules.

On top of that, Roland announced he was adding a trader and that will require a traditional safe zone, so that's already in the pipeline (Team anti-trader here).

I like the idea, but I dont think anyone wants to roleplay as NPC nor do I think anyone wants to deal with having to message a gm anytime they want to attack an 'authoritarian police state' or any other group.

Edited by Jim Smokes

I was on a server on Miscreated that had 4 safe zones and they all caused issues. Player made/enforced/ran safe zones like in Cherno when Wolf Pack and Legion were running, THAT is what I liked to see. I want more of that! I was even the enemy of Wolf Pack and I was let in with out issue and even the leader met with me and told me I was welcome because I wasn't stirring trouble. Had a lot of good RP there. 

No.

I'd rather not be chasing somebody only to have to stop suddenly because they "entered a safe zone."

Nor would i like somebody who has wronged me to be sat in a safezone 24/7.

Bollocks to that shit.

Not a fan of OOC having a hand in how a player conducts themselves. The areas that are safe because of the groups enforcing it is much better for the environment and overall quality of RP

45 minutes ago, NathSnr said:

But nobody enforces a safe zone, it's just always pure edge.

then just like in any RP environment that's a flaw among the community and group priorities not an ooc issue in my opinion

I've played communities with a safe-zone and a safe-zone "timer" (Cant commit hostile actions for 10 mins after leaving said safe-zone) and all we did was lure people out, make them wander around for 10 mins then initiate. It doesn't work. 

We'd sit outside the safe-zone to nab people on their way out, so people ended up never leaving - instead sitting in their safe zone for eternity.

This sort of idea isn't likely to succeed. Not enough resources to have in game 24/7 police over an area, and not many people actually want this.

All a safe zone will lead to is people getting ambushed going to/from it, and for people inside of it to abuse the knowledge they are 'safe' to big dick on people they otherwise wouldn't big dick on.

17 hours ago, AidanVC said:

Yeah no. If you want a safe zone, MAKE IT SAFE IC. No OOC rules should make a place “safe”. However due to your opinion on hostile roleplay (which I obviously disagree with) I don’t think there’s anyway to convince you of that. Regardless, to continue with “getting the conversational ball rolling” definitely, definitely, a no from me. 

This ^

Safe zones don't work as they can be abused by bandits. Best thing to do is to create your own little safe haven, which you can regulate yourself. 

Have a look at these things from when settlements were a thing:

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/forum/31-dayzrp-mod-settlements/

Most settlements had their own rules, that the owners enforced.

Edited by Alan Woods

2 hours ago, NathSnr said:

But nobody enforces a safe zone, it's just always pure edge.

Wolfpack x Legion holding Chernogorsk was one of the best safezones to exist. Yes it got attacked, no safezone should be without attacks, but this place could go entire days without attacks purely on the difficulty of attacking / the fear of loss. How is this edgy? They proved it can be done IC and be sustainable.

I meant at the current time, none of the large groups are providing a safezone and only providing edgy roleplay.

3 minutes ago, NathSnr said:

I meant at the current time, none of the large groups are providing a safezone and only providing edgy roleplay.

You know

You should keep your opinions to yourself pls xo, especially ones that are just going to piss people off. Feel like this suggestion is just a way for you to vent your dislike for certain people without actually providing feedback on their group pages.

Edited by APositivePara

1 minute ago, NathSnr said:

You would probably have more reception in the community if you weren't trash talking some of the largest demographics of it. Its not very becoming, or productive. 

There is currently four large groups formed up in a coalition that have established a 'safe zone'. That is about the closest thing right now to a safe zone on the game, but as it should be these are always enforced ICly. No OOC rules or OOC intervention should be used to make places safe in my opinion, as it will wind up being abused by people that have issues with hostile roleplayers and need a place to yell insults from where they can't get punished for it.

We did have a Safe Zone around the North - did we not? Wasn't it something like .... safe zone from 1 pm til like 6 pm or some weird time frame?

It is gone because it was a failure. Rp quality around those spots where everyone feels secure lack big times, imo. 

I want to see more player enforced safe zones. For reals y'all! I'd like to see a BIG GROUP hold a town down for a while and start implementing some rules. Let's see the rise of order and security. The return of civilization. I'd love to see multiple safe zones in towns or make shift towns where people can travel place to place. That'd be AMAZINGThe Cherno safe zone was awesome! A contract group protecting a smaller group that let people in. It was awesome. No one was allowed to have their weapon in hand or risk being shot. That's what I want to see more of. 

Edited by Crimson_Tiger

21 hours ago, AidanVC said:

And how does one make it safe IC? The attackers pick down hours when people are offline and phased out of existance. The attackers pick the time. The attackers normally infiltrate with one or two acting friendly first.

Am i suppose to hire people as a IRL second job with a salary to stand guard 8 hours a day?

Im not saying a safe zone with a godmode bubble is a good idea.. Its terrible.. But i see again and again the statement make it safe IC.. which again and again been proven impossible as the second they go public they get harrassed 24/7 by people thats greedy and shoving there hostile roleplay addiction down your throat, With no afterthought that the people they harrasing may just pack up and leave the community.. and thats kinda where we at now. 9/10 groups will cause problems for you.. 

If we cant have a safe zone.. why not have a uber faction with the power to spawn in guns ammo.. and there uniforms.. rule force them to 100% wear them. and forbid others or take away that uniform or a crucial part of it from the loot table spawn. then they would be higely interested in food and water.. I for one loves settlement rp and would not leave it and wouldent mind being in one spot for long times as long as people keept coming and doing roleplay.. I spend allot of time as it is standing and trading at single spots. 

normally when the lore faction is mentiond people say its unfair or broken.. Fun and unfair dont go hand in hand. And roleplay is suppose to be fun.. not a competetiv Rust Raid base match with Report paper work after.

Edited by Timeremortem

2 hours ago, Rover said:

You would probably have more reception in the community if you weren't trash talking some of the largest demographics of it. Its not very becoming, or productive. 

There is currently four large groups formed up in a coalition that have established a 'safe zone'. That is about the closest thing right now to a safe zone on the game, but as it should be these are always enforced ICly. No OOC rules or OOC intervention should be used to make places safe in my opinion, as it will wind up being abused by people that have issues with hostile roleplayers and need a place to yell insults from where they can't get punished for it.

Wheres that safe zone? never heard of it.

Just now, Timeremortem said:

Wheres that safe zone? never heard of it.

That would be something to find out in game. 🙂

As for your points in the above post: Hard no from me.

You are not going to have a GM-run group powergenerating weapons to fight other groups. Thats not what this server is about. If you have an issue with the hostile groups you have the choices of fighting them, avoiding them, cooperating with them, or otherwise trying not to paint a target on your head. This isn't a consent based server when it comes to receiving roleplay, you only get to choose things that are covered under powergaming like perm scars, death, etc. That is by design. Otherwise ego-driven people will just //no to hostile rP at all, which is pointless. 

Its part of the server, and this argument of 'they'll kill the server' has been brought up time and time again, and here we still are. What I see that I find hilarious is when hostile groups/players complain they can't find roleplay. Yeah. Thats what happens when you oversaturate players with it and they try to avoid you. 

Any OOC forced thing IG will always fail, think making a “safe zone” is a tragic idea and just not organic. 
“Safe zones” and settlements will always pop up and become a thing they just need the right people/group to create them. 
If it’s forced OOC it’ll just crumble. 

10 minutes ago, Rover said:

That would be something to find out in game. 🙂

As for your points in the above post: Hard no from me.

You are not going to have a GM-run group powergenerating weapons to fight other groups. Thats not what this server is about. If you have an issue with the hostile groups you have the choices of fighting them, avoiding them, cooperating with them, or otherwise trying not to paint a target on your head. This isn't a consent based server when it comes to receiving roleplay, you only get to choose things that are covered under powergaming like perm scars, death, etc. That is by design. Otherwise ego-driven people will just //no to hostile rP at all, which is pointless. 

Its part of the server, and this argument of 'they'll kill the server' has been brought up time and time again, and here we still are. What I see that I find hilarious is when hostile groups/players complain they can't find roleplay. Yeah. Thats what happens when you oversaturate players with it and they try to avoid you. 

Make sense I guess. Im just coming from tabletop roleplay where the core is Respect and enforcing that everyone in the scenario has a good time.. Maybe this is to diffrent then.

Its not all bad.. Just that i feel everytime I go out of my way to make something fun.. or make a new character idea.. my 8 hours looting end with a 30 min robbery and me just questioning why i bothered..

I avoid guns.. i avoid military gear.. But seem to want to pull the whole GET DOWN DROP YOUR BAG! deja vu scenario a bit to much. I just want a hub i can go to and be social and have a bit of relaxed roleplay from time to time. 

But this question been up before.. I guess its enjoy it for what it is.. Or move on.. 😞

Edited by Timeremortem

7 minutes ago, Timeremortem said:

Make sense I guess. Im just coming from tabletop roleplay where the core is Respect and enforcing that everyone in the scenario has a good time.. Maybe this is to diffrent then.

Fair Play is the core here.

If you can't enjoy any form of hostile roleplay because your attitude towards it is salty before it even begins, then you'll never have fun with it, and that is not the fault of the people trying to provide you meaningful hostile roleplay. Its a two way street.