Server time (UTC): 2019-11-14, 22:53
Deer Isle Purge
TODAY | 2019-11-15 00:01:00 (server time) | Starts in 1 hour, 7 minutes | Deer Isle Server | PvP
Sign in to follow this  
IrishChris88

Racism in game.

4 minutes ago, IrishChris88 said:

saying there is a difference between OCC and ICC racism makes NO sense.

It does make sense. To me. Moreover, that's why Chernarus is a fictional country, where Chernarussian nationalists can be racist against everybody, and everybody likes them for that.

In game, people like confronting situations that they don't in real life. Being insulted foreign dog was fun for me when the Kamenici were a thing! XD!

Murder is much more serious and nobody complains about it.

If you feel uncomfortable, just write ooc //stop those insults.

But then, can you imagine how ridiculous it would be to get a //don't rob me. ???

5 minutes ago, IrishChris88 said:

Honestly, its just my view and if ye dont agree then so be it. We are all adults at the end of the day. However, saying there is a difference between OCC and ICC racism makes NO sense. This is 2019, not 1960's. Dont think any of you will understand how it feels unless your subjected to it or unless it applies to you (the racism that is). Telling somone to not be offended because its roleplay is an ignorant response tbh. Just don't see why anyone needs to act in that manner to play a video game. Anyways ✌ peace out folks.

We are Adults, that is why we should be able to handle sensitive topics in a role play scenario such as Racism

Learn to detach IC from OOC, It's role play for a reason, if you can't handle that then maybe this server ain't for you man

At the end of the day it like you said is a video game so i don't see what there is to get all worked up about

Lol I can see I'm out numbered here. Regret opening my mouth. Anyways, whatever ye are happy with. I've said what I had to say. 👌

This server would allow you to (theoretically), skin someone with a cheese grater and make them dance around singing 'singing in the rain' whilst having acid thrown at them so honestly calling someone a n*gger aint that bad. The right idea is to respond to and perceive these events as your character would. Yes maybe you may find it offensive but would your character? And if he does find it offensive seek justice in game, not on the forum. Track down the 'racist' character and give him a piece a' mind.

1 minute ago, IrishChris88 said:

Lol I can see I'm out numbered here. Regret opening my mouth. Anyways, whatever ye are happy with. I've said what I had to say. 👌

You shouldn't regret anything. One of the main basis of every community is communication. Actually communication is one of the most important basis in regards to everything. That's why we have this website so we, as members of this community, can talk with each other, discuss things, maybe suggest some innovative ideas that could improve this community. Sometimes you'll get support, sometimes you'll find your opinion to be in a minority, sometimes it'll be 50/50. Its just how it is but just because one time, like you said, "you've found yourself being outnumbered" shouldn't discourage you from any future discussions.

Just set up OBS (like in the guide) and record your gameplay. If you feel like RP is turning to trolly or overexcesive, talk it out with the group leader and show them the video or, if you really want to, pursue a report.

RPing racism in my opinion is very tricky and shouldn't be done over the top and I've seen people achieving it - tho we have to remebber that there's a line that shouldn't be crossed  during RP.

Edited by DerrickStorm

@IrishChris88

Racism as a tool to convey roleplay and further a story is very much allowed.

If however, the use of it was trolly or OOCly motivated, you can report, and from the sounds of it, it very much sounds like it was used in a trolly manner.

However, let's address one of your questions:

"Why is it allowed?"

Because, two years into the apocalypse, the people who are left alive may not be the most friendly or most likable individuals, my character as an example is a war veteran from the 2009 Civil War, he was fighting on the side of NAPA, and extremist right-wing anti-russian hating chapter, and to add ontop of that, isn't particularly fond of foreigners in general.

So would my character be singing a Johnny Rebel song out loud ingame as a taunt? No, probably not, that sounds pretty sad, however he very much would draw attention to the colour of ones skin, berate, humiliate, generally be an asshole, what is important to note is that this is an IC motivation, it is entirely a thing reserved for my character, and in no way should anyone assume I share the bigoted views of my character.

And that's where it is drawn.

The use of racial slurs, taboo subjects should be done in a healthy, realistic manner, when overdone because "It's allowed lmao" you end up with people singing Johnny Rebel on repeat, and that is, in my eyes: BadRP.

So to answer your question, it is allowed because it can be a powerful tool to convey a story.

Racism should be blanket banned or allowed fully. I drop all my n-bombs in comms so I prefer the former.

3 minutes ago, APositiveElmo said:

Racism should be blanket banned or allowed fully. I drop all my n-bombs in comms so I prefer the former.

Racism is used as a meme by a lot, it being allowed probably puts off a lot of people in terms of PR, streamers etc. Blanket ban seems appropriate tbh. 

Personally it’s fine imo if you only drop it once to emphasize your character, anything above that can be reported and most likely will result in a ban. You’re always free to report things you feel are toxic to the community. 

1 minute ago, APositivePara said:

Racism is used as a meme by a lot, it being allowed probably puts off a lot of people in terms of PR, streamers etc. Blanket ban seems appropriate tbh. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you my fellow intellectual. Ban racism!

I wonder about the type of people who decide to a play a character that invovles any form of racism tbh. My character in game was a teacher before the apocalyptic era (reflects my profession IRL) probably why I dont tolerate picking on minority groups. Yes it is a game, but people use all media platforms as a way of racially abusing people because if they did it in real life, we all know they wouldnt be as brave. So why are we providing them with a platform to do so? Anyways, accept other points made about murder, killing, theft, robbing etc so maybe I'm flogging a dead horse. Appreciate everyone's opinion and response to my topic. I was genuinely interested to hear other peoples viewpoints. Especially from veteran players about how it enhances stories etc. However, my opinion still remains Im afriad. No offense intended. Just wanted to generate discussion on the topic. Im sure theyre are people form minority groups who play this server and was wondering how they felt? Maybe a rule to mention about the excessive use of racism in game could be created or it it already there?

Edited by IrishChris88

if terrorist groups are not allowed in, then why is racism allowed?  You can say it's apples and oranges, but the justification of racism in game with "It's RP, people are not actually racist, they are just racist characters" can just as easily be turned around into "It's RP, the person is not actually a terrorist, they just play a terrorist character".  

It's hypocritical 

3 minutes ago, Thrillshire said:

if terrorist groups are not allowed in, then why is racism allowed?  You can say it's apples and oranges, but the justification of racism in game with "It's RP, people are not actually racist, they are just racist characters" can just as easily be turned around into "It's RP, the person is not actually a terrorist, they just play a terrorist character".  

It's hypocritical 

Exactly! If I created a group called KKK, would it be accepted? Its RP after all??? No it wouldn't...why? Because its wrong. Therefore why allow it in any form?

Edited by IrishChris88
Spelling

I will add on to what I have already stated, while I feel like it can enhance the RP at times I believe we should ban it as it’s never used appropriately. The only time I have seen it used in an appropriate manner was when @StagsviewRB did his group and that required special permission and admin oversight if I am not mistaken. I would say to remove it on the servers as the majority can’t use it in a serious manner. 

I remember when racism was kinda frown upon, and the only group actually being racist was CLF, but they played it very differently and were fun to have.

Now I see people are okay with it, but racism should not be used excessively as it becomes cringey and boring and it's just plain simple BadRP. People should know to limit themselves and only use racists remarks or whatever enough to create an atmosphere, but not go over board.

In my experience as a DM, people who play racist characters generally use it as a free pass to be racist OOC as well. 
I blanket banned racism and homophobia at my table years ago. Your enjoyment doesn't override my own. 

I gotta say I read the first OP and then skipped through, only reading some replies.

Don't take it personal but I think those topics come down to people with "thin skins". And I say that as someone who also got racist remarks, in a way. Or someone who is aware of the issue on a global scale. But you won't do yourself a favor if you take things you have an issue with OOC and begin to blur the lines between IC or roleplay and OOC.  As someone else said, if we do that, where does it end? I find cannibalism, murder, etc. offensive IRL too. It's way worse than being called mean names, in fact, given the impact those things have. Should we forbid this too because people are uncomfortable with it OOC? Then we could close this community down if we take out hostile interactions.

If you detach yourself from your own personal view and look at the scenario, it should make sense to have racism occur next to other things. I understand and respect you have your view, OP, but I don't get the "it's 2019 not 1960" argument.

Look at the situation. Half the world is dead or in shambles as the rabies people walk the earth, old and new conflicts between human / uninfected people arose, and this isn't California or so, this is Chernarus in Eastern Europe where people tend to think different on average about certain topics. Not even since order broke down in our setting but before there was plenty of racism. Or nationalism. Russians vs Chernarussians, locals vs foreigners, etc. If the world partially ended now you can also bet your ass that in many nations, extremist groups would rise up and that would include racist ideologies.

It is what it is. You're either fine with or or can cope that it's just roleplay or IC and not the people doing it, or you don't. I personally suggest to roll with it or don't dwell on it too much OOC, if you can. I personally believe it is absolutely realistic or possible for the setting at hand, and even reality if something similar was to happen.

Tbh, I don't care all that much on it being used.

It's more that it's just immersion breaking when you're in a fight and you hear someone who throws the famous "N-Word" (idk if it's allowed to be written here on the forums.) in every third word he says. Just seems outright trolly.

It is the internet, racism/sexism/homophobia etc wont be stopped, especially on the internet. This is the way it is on DayZRP and this is the way its most likely going to stay. I personally have no issues with it, roleplay is roleplay and out of character is out of character. 

2 hours ago, IrishChris88 said:

my friend became quite annoyed and to be honest, upset by it too.

Welcome to the internet bud. I couldn't care less if someone got offended by the actions of my IG Character on a serious roleplay community on the game DayZ. I've played racists, homophobic people ect ect... Let me be the first to say that I honestly don't care. It's RP.  Allow me to *cough* look at the rules here...

image.png

Pretty sure your mate getting upset and annoyed is classed as an OOC event. 

I love these threads so much. 

Edited by Beni

There are multiple people that are black, Jewish, Muslim etc. IRL that portray themselves in game sometimes. I believe the argument of "people use this type of RP to convey something that they wish they could portray in real life, but are too scared to" is moot. I don't play GTA V as a metaphorical nicotine patch to hold back my urge to murder some innocent civilians. 

Racism exists in the real world, we're here to RP a character in a "real world" and thus taboo subjects such as racism, sexism etc. is permitted as no one is around to really stop it as an IG entity anyway. I wouldn't be mad at a huge "Anti Racist" group tbh but I feel like it'd make the racist subject more prevalent. As others have stated, use a // I don't feel comfortable with this, can we move on? to prevent the situation from continuing is a good tip, if it's excessive in behavior then record/report.

We've had a lot of threads about this, lmao.

19 minutes ago, Ulthel said:

In my experience as a DM, people who play racist characters generally use it as a free pass to be racist OOC as well. 

Mate that's the biggest load of shit I've ever seen. 

I've played racists and my best mate is... Hold on. 

image.png.5835f887e86730aff04ea9cae48abd02.png

He's Saddle Brown. 

I ain't racist OOC and I can play racists IC...  I don't know where you've seen that but lord knows that aint the case. 

Edited by Beni

25 minutes ago, Thrillshire said:

It's hypocritical 

Terrorist groups are in fact, allowed. I dont know if you were around but there was once a fantastic group of roleplayers who made a group called Jaysh Allah. The Jaysh Allah were muslim extremists who would find Jewish people and whip them, punish westerners etc.

Now whats not allowed, is someone making a group called "ISIS", as that is a real terrorist organization.