Server time (UTC): 2019-11-22, 08:41
Sign in to follow this  
IrishChris88

Racism in game.

Hello all. I've been playing this server for little over a month. I am new to RP and to DayZ .... kind of. However, I want to get people's thoughts on an in-game issue which I feel strongly about that I have encountered alot despite the fact I am a new community member. So, I have met a variety of people in game, most of who have engaged in some excellent RP and has made my experience on the server a positive one. I'm genuinely enjoying the experience but there's something that I believe is fundamentally wrong with the rules section. I was playing one night with my friend. We were being held up by members of Anarchy (the gang I love to hate and who have created an interesting story on the server). During a recent role play scenario, my friend was subjected to repetitive racial slurs. He was called a "black person"(we know the word) and someone sang "I'm an Alabama black person (we know the word) and I wanna be free!" down the headset numerous times because my friend's character was an African American. He is an African American in real life. I found it very hard to listen to and my friend became quite annoyed and to be honest, upset by it too.

To my surprise, when I went to report or persue this issue, I was informed that this kind of thing is allowed and not condemned on this server. I am sorry but .... THIS IS WRONG. 

This server is used by people from all around the world and by people who love to game and like to relax and play video games. We all play to chill and escape real world bullshit. The fact that anyone who is different can be subjected to this is wrong (I don't care if this happens in real life or if it is considered RP banter, it shouldn't be condoned).

Why is it allowed? Why do people do it? And why do we accept it when it happens?

If this server is really about RP and for everyone, then it be should reflected in its rules.

Would love other peoples thoughts or opinions on this.

Peace ✌

Edited by IrishChris88

I've brought this up to. It's not the player it's the character. It's not real racism it's just role played. Gotta have thick skin and try be a grown up about it. It's not ok dont get me wrong but you will get no where.

That's how the server is brother, it's roleplay, if ya don't like you don't have to play

The server is not going to change their rules just because your buddy got offended 

Edited by Shroud

It is roleplay. These people are not racist, they are playing racists characters. There is a difference.

I've heard this excuse before. It aint about being thick skinned, its about promoting racism. Racists hiding behind screens getting their kicks out of abusing people because of their ethnicity because if they did it in real life, they'd get punched out or put down. If we as a community allow it in here, then how are we any different? Why is it needed for RP? Do people think it makes RP situations better? Just wrong in my eyes mate.

Edited by IrishChris88
Spelling

If someone gets excessive with it I suggest you just type in OOC // I don't feel comfortable with you saying that, could you please stop?

But in general I suggest you try to understand that IC is IC and OOC is OOC, people don't want to abuse you OOCly at any point while you play, it's just characters in a fictional environment.

If you can send us some evidence then well deal with this internally.
But mr Chimmy Chonga your profile picture is a white power pepe with a swastika armband, so if in anyone is talking about racism then it shouldnt be you

edit: sorry its a reskinned white power pepe

Edited by BandsRP

Hey, member of Anarchy here, if you have any proof of this incident, please forward it to me, @JimRP , @G19RP, we will deal with it internally as it is not the RP we stand for in an excessive manner.

also why you calling us out? you have an 88 in your name and we all know what this means, also @Chimmy Chonga out here with a white power pepe reskined to say pepe power instead

Incorrect. My pic is dose not have a swastika anywhere. Dont assume just because its PEPE with a red armband. 

Just now, IrishChris88 said:

I've heard this excuse before. It aint about being thick skinned, its about promoting racism. Racists hidi g behind screens getting their kicks out of abusing people because of their ethnicity because if they did it in real life, they'd get punched out or put down. If we as a community allow it in here, then how are we any different? Why is it needed for RP? Do people think it maked RP situations better? Just wrong in my eyes mate.

It's not an excuse it's how the server works, Roleplay should not restrict what people say

and from previous threads on this topic, the way things work aint changing

50 minutes ago, JewRP said:

Hey, member of Anarchy here, if you have any proof of this incident, please forward it to me, @JimRP , @G19RP, we will deal with it internally as it is not the RP we stand for in an excessive manner.

also why you calling us out? you have an 88 in your name and we all know what this means, also @Chimmy Chonga out here with a white power pepe reskined to say pepe power instead

- USER WAS CAUTIONED FOR THIS POST -

1 minute ago, Chimmy Chonga said:

Incorrect. My pic is dose not have a swastika anywhere. Dont assume just because its PEPE with a red armband. 

the original picture says "white power" with a straight up swastika, maybe as an Israeli Jew i think you shouldn't have this picture? 

I dont think your name is appropriate either you shiuld have to change that aswell. JEWRP. That's offensive 

Edited by Chimmy Chonga
Spelling, name needed

Keep this on topic please.

I wasn't calling Anarchy out, just laying down the fact it happend that time with an Anarchy member. Anarchy make this server in my eyes. Fear, chase etc. I have experienced this several times only once involving Anarchy. I dont have recording equipment .... yet ....but when I do, if it does happen I will post it here. Anyways this is a discussion form. If its about people giving their viewpoint on the server, then I should be allowed express my viewpoint no?

Edited by IrishChris88
Spelling

Just now, Chimmy Chonga said:

I dont think your name is appropriate either you shiuld have to change that aswell. JEWRP. That's offensive 

My guy he is Israeli, literally is Jewish

1 minute ago, Shroud said:

My guy he is Israeli, literally is Jewish

I'm white? I fail to see a difference. Last I'll say of this, as we should stay on topic.

Edited by Chimmy Chonga
Spelling correction

2 minutes ago, IrishChris88 said:

I wasn't calling Anarchy out, just laying down the fact it happend that time with an Anarchy member. Anarchy make this server in my eyes. Fear, chase etc. I have experienced this several times only once involving Anarchy. I dont have recording equipment .... yet ....but when I do, if it does happen I will post it here. Anyways this is a discussion form. If its about people giving their viewpoint on the server, then I should be allowed express my viewpoint no?

Okay thank you for informing us. 
For next time i recommend googling OBS and you can record that way, its free. There are hundreds of other free ways to record, so if you can come with some proof that would be great.

1 minute ago, Chimmy Chonga said:

I'm white? I fail to see a difference. Last I'll say of this, as we should stay on topic.

All white people are not jewish homie

4 minutes ago, IrishChris88 said:

no worries, i also recommend that instead of just posting it here, send it to one of the leaders to deal with the person and resolve the issue without starting anything on the forums, thank you for the information, if you also have a name or anything to identify the person involved in what you described in the OP let us know and we will have a chat with him, we do not condone any OOC racism and anything over excessive to the point where it ruins the RP, thats what were here for, to provide good roleplay. 

We always encourage players to record behavior they don't deem appropriate and fitting to roleplay. Racism is perfectly acceptable in game when its part of a characters story and history and makes sense, but if its excessive and over the top trolly that is something that should be brought to the attention of the staff team, the groups leader, or the player directly depending on what you are most comfortable with.

I also have a problem with this and have been attempting to stomp it in my own group, which I suggest other Council members do in their groups aswell.

A large proportion of DayZ RP's popularity comes from it being the premier roleplaying experience on DayZ but quite a bit of it also comes from the free advertisement from youtube streaming / videos and twitch streaming / clips. Racism and hate speech is something that negatively effects these live-streaming services as their specific TOS does touch upon those topics.

I don't know about you but, I'm quite sure every streamer here on DayZRP have been discouraged from streaming DayZRP due to the language of these individuals (with even said streamers performing rulebreaks, as in the case of Psi back in the day)

TL;DR, council members should discipline their members and themselves and make RP more enjoyable instead of making bland, pointless racist remarks that doesn't fit your character's story and person.

Edited by SullyDat
adding context

I mean, to be honest if you go by the logic "racism shouldnt be allowed because community then promotes racism" then we should also forbid murder, theft, cannibalism and all of those other bad stuff because by that logic we are also promoting them, that is fine to kill other people. Its not but if we forbid it then it wouldn't be a post-apocalypse zombie survival, no? If you feel like someone's behaviour in-game was too much, offending or out of line, you should set up a recording software so next time you can report those individuals but otherwise there isn't anything else you will accomplish.

Edited by Tewudin

Honestly, its just my view and if ye dont agree then so be it. We are all adults at the end of the day. However, saying there is a difference between OCC and ICC racism makes NO sense. This is 2019, not 1960's. Dont think any of you will understand how it feels unless your subjected to it or unless it applies to you (the racism that is). Telling somone to not be offended because its roleplay is an ignorant response tbh. Just don't see why anyone needs to act in that manner to play a video game. Anyways ✌ peace out folks.

Edited by IrishChris88

I play a chernarussian White nationalist and a massive racist, does this make me a racist IRL no! And if you can’t detach IC from reality then I don’t think video games are for you.

It is acting, it is roleplay, I am pretty sure other chernarussain nationalists are not going about in London, Berlin, Paris shouting racist slurs. 
You have to understand this and accept it! If you can’t then it’s just not going to work out in your favour and your going to get frustrated with it.