Server time (UTC): 2019-11-12, 19:52
Sign in to follow this  
pavot

Tougher and roaming infected

I. Should tougher infected be a thing?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both of these suggestions are pretty simple, but could actually make things more interesting.

I. Now i'm not saying that all infected should be jacked. But it would be awesome if some of the infected would have more health than the other ones. Maybe those wearing vests and helmets? Or just add a "more mutated" fella. They could be slower to keep things balanced. Plus those army boys packin' tons of ammo would have to start aiming for it's head instead of sprayn' and prayn' like they usually do.

II.  Camping, roaming or just finding mushrooms could get a bit more interesting and dangerous by adding infected spawn points into the middle of nowhere, pathways or water sources. I'm not talking about big hordes of zed's. Maybe just a small amount of 1-3 infected. Would make sense for them to be there because they can hear sounds from the forests.

1. It could be something, would make military areas more dangerous, since that's where you'd find a bulk of soldiers wearing helmets and armor. 

2. Could be interesting, but we got wolves roaming the forests and with bears incoming there's no need, since these beasts alone are far more dangerous than zeds. 

One of the main reasons I've loved playing on Deer Isle is because of the sheer amount of infected. DayZ is a survival game and the infected are a huge part that, the issue here is that Chernarus doesn't have many infected at all, you can run around like a headless chicken without having to worry about getting killed by the infected themselves. With that said, the Deer Isle infected are not perfect. In fact, they are the exact same as the Chernarus infected, there are just more. 

I think the fix for this is to increase the number of infected roaming around Chernarus and to make them tougher. That way we don't shoot and get 50+ infected rocking up, but we also don't shoot and get 1-2 rock up. I think doubling the number of infected, making them tougher and adding roamers would be a great addition to the server and make this place feel much more survival based, because right now nobody is scared of the infected at all.

To be hones I always hoped that sooner or later the ammount of zombies will grow (without stability issues) and the longer players stay in one area, the more infected will it attract - even in the middle of the woods, infected from the region will just pick a "hotspot" and start heading there. It would also be nice if during firefights between groups there was the element of infected rushing towards shooters in greater numbers than now - something to take into consideration before firing a shot.

5 minutes ago, Alan Woods said:

2. Could be interesting, but we got wolves roaming the forests and with bears incoming there's no need, since these beasts alone are far more dangerous than zeds. 

True, but when you spray down a bunch of wolves you get tons of food, propably even with the bear. Infected have a smaller chance of having loot, so it would be just a waste of ammo.

Edited by pavot

30 minutes ago, pavot said:

True, but when you spray down a bunch of wolves you get tons of food, propably even with the bear. Infected have a smaller chance of having loot, so it would be just a waste of ammo.

I didn't think about the loot aspect, just the level of danger they possess. 

Either way, I don't think everyone bothers to loot these wild animals. 

I'd rather have more wild animals in the forests as these also tend to be very unpredictable when attacking. 

Edited by Alan Woods

1 minute ago, Alan Woods said:

I didn't think about the loot aspect, just the level of danger they possess. 

Either way, I don't think everyone bothers to loot these wild animals. 

Every camp i have ever got in to take a peek in their tents had tons of baked meat, that kinda ruins the survival aspect of the game. I personally don't care. I only suggested it so there's more variety.

1 minute ago, pavot said:

Every camp i have ever got in to take a peek in their tents had tons of baked meat, that kinda ruins the survival aspect of the game. I personally don't care. I only suggested it so there's more variety.

Oh, maybe something could be arranged about making this task of skinning and harvesting meat a bit harder, or even dangerous, since from my experience, cooked meat still has a chance to give you cholera... 

Since the start of Standalone the Infected have never really been and issue, they've always been more of an annoyance. So i'm glad someone made a suggestion to get these things to become and actual problem.

Just stop beating around the bush and add my bloodsucker children. 

More infected spawning would be a nice addition but its whether the server would handle it.

Id definitely like to see infected roaming more to make you more wary of every area you travel especially if they are made tougher.

More infected spawning in the cities would be awesome. Not tougher, just more numbers. 

23 minutes ago, Major said:

Just stop beating around the bush and add my bloodsucker children. 

Please add bloodsuckers +50

Honestly a smaller but complete map would be better. That way there can be more infected and the server would be stable. I don't think that the map such as Chernarus+ can handle 100 player cap, hordes, and cars.

Edited by Zero

The threat of the infected does need to be greater, but I don't think adding super beefed up zombies is the way to go: I would argue hordes are.

One beefy boi shows up at your compound, how much of a threat is he, honestly? He can't damage your walls because walls don't have health, you destroy them with an item interaction, and having a huge zombie vaulting walls is dumb.

But, what about a Horde? A group of 50-100 infected suddenly rocking up would be NASTY. You could have a few hordes on the map patrolling major road routes and even roaming through woods, towns and cities. The only times I have ever found zombies to be a credible threat is when there are lots of them coming at you and your mag runs dry so having hordes would be deadly as hell - imagine one vaulting into your base.

If you notice, infected only spawn in places where people are close by to keep the server lag down. I'm afraid if we have hoards of 50+ infected just roaming around outside the render distance of players, it could really hinder the server's performance, as we already have problems with the way it is now.

But hey, I guess don't knock it till you try it. Just have to be weary of what could happen. 

Well, there's a nice pack of "Mutants", could add those as  tougher infected.

1. No, i don´t think that is necessary.
It will make players carry even more/better guns and if you have a full automatic rifle with a 75 drum mag you still won´t care about tougher infected and just mow them down. However if you run around with a knife/axe/melee weapon and try to kill one of the tougher one´s you will have a problem. I would prefer to see much more infected, so that even if you have a full automatic gun and a 75 drum mag you may think twice before shooting because if you have e.g. 75 infected on you after one shot you will also have a problem.

2. I´m totally down for roaming infected!
I remember the time when i was roaming around with a friend and one of the admins/gamemasters spawned a small hoard of infected in the middle of the woods close to us. My friend almost ran into them, not paying attention at all..  It would improve the apocalyptic feeling and the awareness!

Im not going with stronger infected part afterall its only sick humans so no explanation. There might be something like "mutants" as a result of research for cure that went wrong @StagsviewRB ?

I love how it is on Jelení Ostrovy. You would consider to firefight because of small stuff as there is quiet chance to get yourself wasted. 

Globaly increased spawn. ...I dont think the server is going to handle it.

Possible solution trough higher spawn in decent radius of where people are (and despawn once the area is clear again) might be a thing yet again i believe it will hit the performance.

Just to confirm, if the map was smaller, like the new map coming out, then we can have MORE zombies with out affecting performance? I am all for having more, many many more zombies, especially in the cities and towns. Not stronger. If we make the zombies only able to walk and not sprint, could we add more zombies? Would that effect server performance? 

4 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Just to confirm, if the map was smaller, like the new map coming out, then we can have MORE zombies with out affecting performance? I am all for having more, many many more zombies, especially in the cities and towns. Not stronger. If we make the zombies only able to walk and not sprint, could we add more zombies? Would that effect server performance? 

Yes the size of map matter believe the Jelení Ostrovy is having same spawn amount of NPC's  yet because of the fact it is a smaller map the amount at once place is bigger.

P sure a variety of infected types is being worked on and +1 to that.

Roaming infected? Make a few hordes roam the woods like wolf packs. Huge ones, like 50 zombies. Would be p cool to see tbh if possible.

I think it would be absolutely fantastic if the undead were actually "undead" and needed a bit more lead before they had their final rest. Add roaming hordes or packs around they map that you could run into or vice versa would just be icing on the cake! Would love to see this happen if possible.

+1 on this. 

Could add more RP when trying to avoid zombies in cities, instead of just charging in with a knife or gun and killing 20 before moving on.

I  have to agree on this, making the zombies more tough to fight and roam around more could bring more interesting scenarios to the server, and possibly PVE groups.