Server time (UTC): 2019-11-17, 21:19
Sign in to follow this  
ErikJones

Quick thoughts on Escalation

Hey, Im one of the newer people to the server, but I've played my fair share of RP. I'm aware of the "general sense" of rules in RP i.e. VDM, power-gaming, metagaming... but I wanted to ask the staff about thoughts on escalation and an experience I had with someone. Basically, an individual came to our home, which are setting up as a medical depot (2 people). Now it is not uncommon for people because we picked an area that is an "inbetween" from a few POIs. Most of the time interactions go well with helping people or they help us, whichever. But my first "escalating" experience was with a man who kept answering/speaking in ways to "create hostility". (name calling, overtly running thru our camp pointing out sniping locations, running on top of the fencing (2 inches wide lol).

The situation ended as well as it could have without people dying, but its one of those experiences that felt more like a "standalone experience" rather than RP. Im aware that RP can take a turn left OR right at any point, but just coming into a camp and telling people you are scouting their camp; pulling an AK in and out of your hands; and/or accusing people of people hostile who arent at all just seems like a quick way to find a "RP" reason to raid someone. Seemed more like taking RP and turning it into something that gives you the rights to raid/hurt.

It would seem more plausible, to me, that if you think that there is a potential loot location that you would need to disguise you're actions of espionage better, and when you DONT try to be discreet and are overtly hostile in a situation that you would clearly lose in it makes it seem as if you are using the rules to get an edge in RP.

I did consider reporting the individual for overall trashy RP behavior because if someone is willing to run across the top of the fences like they are a superhero right in front of the people they would be raiding, then Im sure their actions when no one is looking are much worse...

But thanks for the forum to ask you guys these things. I just want to get a clear view on the RP culture of this community! 😛

Hi ErikJones!

I understand your frustration. We've all been there. Having a character or a group of friends that want to do good to the people and create a place where people come to that helps them. What you have to remember is that your characters find themselves in an end of the world apocalypse scenario. There is no law and order and people will be acting hostile in order to get what they want, or sometimes even to big dick. Some people like the hostile style of RP better and like playing characters that are of a more hostile nature.

I get that you didn't see the point of them walking in and starting hostilities for no reason, but to those people its the nature of their character. Some people don't want others to be helpful. Some only want to see chaos and death when there is no police or law to worry about. 

If the entire situation seems overly trolly or just bad, you should definitely either speak to the individual OOC and show them how you perceived their roleplay or in bad cases create a report. Reports aren't just there to get others banned, they are also there to help people understand what they did wrong. Reports can always be talked out too.

I hope this answered any questions you have. If not feel free to update your question and we will get back to it. Alternatively you can DM any Staff Member on the forums or discord 🙂 

Phoenix

Sign in to follow this