Poppy Reynolds grew up in Marietta, Georgia, a town that while quaint, never truly had her heart. She always considered herself to be a proud American, but there were many Southern standards and ideals that she never found herself fitting in with. As a southern woman, who also happened to be a gun-fearing vegetarian, she was the butt of many jokes growing up.
Poppy's childhood was far from perfect, despite her sunny disposition. Her father died from a very young age, too long ago that the only memories she holds are those of photographs hanging on the walls. A drunk-driving accident made her mother a widow, and it was something Poppy say effect her mother as she was growing up. It wasn't until Poppy was around five years old that her mother started dating again -- and dating losers. There was abuse... abuse that Poppy was too young to really comprehend. It was well hidden, at first. The young blonde-head would only catch glimpses; her mother with her head in her hands, crying... or an unexplained bruise that she would pass off on her "clumsiness". There was a darkness in their household that Poppy was both attune to, and blissfully unaware. Her young mind blamed the atmosphere on the monster hiding in her closet; a dark entity that she blamed as the reason she would wet the bed. Therapists in her later life would tell her all of those signs were pointing towards a fear of a monster, yes -- but it was the monster in her mother's room, and not Poppy's.
He never hit Poppy, never found an interest in her at all, in truth. He spent most of his days avoiding eye contact, and shirking all kids of responsibility that being a step-father might come with. In hindsight, it was the best thing he could have done for her -- the man was completely and utterly toxic. A truth Poppy would learn to be all too true.
There was a night a year into their relationship, that her step-father was completely on edge about. Poppy's mother and him had been fighting all night, for a reason still unknown to this day. The child was told to go to her room, and her colouring book had taken priority over the possibility of eavesdropping on the conversation. The minutes to follow are burned into her brain and are likely to remain for the rest of her life.
Blue crayon. Red crayon. Draw in the lines. Flowers. Green crayon. Grass. Red crayon. Fox. Bang. Crash. Bang. Door. Stairs. Kitchen. Mom. Red crayon. Blood.
It was a flurry of colours, mixed with an absolutely blackness. He wasn't at large for long, no. The neighbors heard the shots ring out and called the authorities quickly. Her vision was only filled with more colour; red and blue, flashing through her window and playing shapes against their yellow walls. She stayed there with her mom, clothes soaked red as she sat, knowing something was wrong, but not truly knowing what to do to help. Blue uniforms came through the door, they pulled her away from her mom and there were tears, and frightened sobs. A blanket wrapped around her. Blue. There was a lady talking to her, using words and asking questions that were hard to understand. Their conversation isn't something that Poppy came to remember, it was likely dull for her six year-old self... but it is a conversation that adult Poppy would have loved to remember.
More colours greeted her. A yellow sweater as her grandmother rushed towards her; she smelled of purple. Flowers. A strong hand rested on her hand, blue eyes looked up to meet her grandfather. After having worked in the field and with the cattle, there was an overwhelming sense of brown from him. Nonetheless, it was a comfort then and now.
Her step-father was found fairly quickly, and justly thrown into jail for the crime. Poppy spent the rest of her life growing and learning from her loving grandparents -- a childhood that she grew up to cherish despite the hardship that came beforehand. As her memories faded of her mother, the feelings never did -- her pictures hung on the wall along with her father's. They were both parts of her past that she was too young to remember, but there are feelings there that she continues to carry with her.
Poppy grew up into a fairly well-adjusted woman, and a woman who spent her time volunteering and striving to change things for the better. It was an altruism that lead her to Chernarus -- a country she was told that was decimating its forests with logging and deforestation. Poppy made the decision to travel abroad as one final trip before pursuing a higher education. It was meant to be a trip for her to do some good and spend some time at home with nature, and it turned on her in the worst of ways.
Pisces: Positive traits include; imaginative, sensitive, compassionate, selfless, intuitive, compassionate. Negative traits include; escapist, idealistic, secretive, vague, weak-willed, naive.
Personality: Poppy is forever an optimist. She believes the best in people, and it has a tendency to get her in trouble. She is unwavering when she feels strongly that something is right, and is stubborn to a fault when her beliefs are in question. Often greeting strangers with kindness puts a target on her back for unsavory characters who wish to harm others. She'd gladly give you the shirt off her back if you said you were cold. She's uncertain around gunfire, and doesn't like to use heavy assault rifles based off of poor past experiences with guns -- if anything, the most she's comfortable with is a pistol. Poppy is quite playful around those she's comfortable with, a quick tell of knowing whether or not she trusts an individual or group.
1. An 'X' carved into her left hand, an injury given to her symbolizing being marked as a "toy".
2. Bullet wound in outer left thigh, a graze that has yet to scar over.
3. Wounds around her wrists and ankles, rope burns that are too fresh to have scarred yet.
4. A gash above her left eyebrow, recently injured, no scar has formed yet.
5. Wings carved into her back, still raw.
6. Blue and black bruises engulfing her entire throat, still recently bruised.
7. Bruised jaw and ribs from recent beatings.
Herbivore, Stories from Poppy Reynolds
❤ - Fruits and vegetables.
❤ - Nature.
❤ - Safety.
❤ - Laughter.
❤ - Friendship.
✘ - Meat.
✘ - Torture and senseless violence.
✘ - Isolation.
✘ - Gunfire.
✘ - Rude individuals.
Nick Shepard <---> @Shepard
1. "Shepard. I stumbled across him a while ago now, nearly dead and with the carnivores soon to notice him. He had passed out long before our first introductions, and dragging his heavy butt into the nearest house was... a challenge to say the least. I gave him some water, fed him, and expected him to go on his way... but he didn't. For whatever reason, he stuck around. He kind of... reminds me of a father type. Is that weird? Or... bad? I... don't know mine, obviously... so, I hope it's okay I'll just pretend it's Shepard. Sorry, dad. He gets really mad at me sometimes, when I do something careless, or get myself hurt somehow. I think he probably thinks similar to me; a daughter."
2. "He said that he was protecting me because I'm one of the only good people left. I don't... believe that. After everything, I don't WANT to believe that. I don't like the trouble he's gotten into because of me... and he's the first person I have met in a long time that I want to be brave for. To help him. He's the first... of many, I hope.
Aaron Grey <---> @MR Pussywhipped
1. "Grey. He's... funny, and nice. Super nice, likely because he's Canadian... but I like it. I wish more people were like that nowadays. I enjoy spending time with him, it makes the days go by fast, and the morning come quickly; like it's exciting waking up and knowing I'll see a friendly face. There's something about him though... like he's been through a lot -- like he's running from ghosts. I hope when they catch up to him --if they catch up to him-- it doesn't change who he is now. I like him now... but, I could probably be easily convinced to like any version of him."
2. "I've spent a lot of time with him... learned a lot playing truth or truth. He's... one of the easiest people to talk to that I've ever met, even though I spend most of the time just making a damn fool out of myself. Luca's been really... persistent on saying that she "ships" us. He's said some things over the past few days that make me wonder if he thinks the same way. He's got... a lot going on though. I can tell. I'm not sure... something like that is even on his mind. It's been a long time since I've even thought about something like that for myself. Even still, I'm going to spend the time with him -- I like spending time with him, either way."
Luca Marshall <---> @Phoenix
1. "She's been... a good friend to me. Reminds me of someone from long ago; both pushy, and opinionated, and make sure they get what they want. I knew what I was getting into when I noticed those similar signs, and honestly I'm glad to have a friend like that again. She was... determined, right from the get go, about me joining up with them... about me meeting the rest of her family and becoming part of it. Luca's the type that doesn't take any bullshit, and I respect that about her. It's a strong trait to have, something I hope I pick up. I laugh a lot when I'm with her... when I'm with all of them. When she's not busy setting me up with every single man she comes across, she does try to make sure I'm okay. With everything that's happened... it's nice to be checked in on, once in a while."
Caleb Marshall <---> @Watchman
1. "Caleb... has definitely been there for me, I mean... mostly from a medical standpoint, but within the past couple of days more like a... friend? He's been very kind, offered to carry my backpack with my injuries, and broke off a stick for me to walk with my leg. Due to this, he earned a resounding "Aw" from everyone else who was there... but he didn't mind the guys mocking him. It didn't stop him from being nice to me even after that. But, he's pretty silly too... He started going through my bag and that was kind of funny for a laugh... even at my expense. I look at him and Luca and it makes me smile, they're cute together. I like that they have something so genuine, it makes me... hopeful. Not only for myself, but for everyone else."
Desmond Aurelio <--> @Jack the Ripper
1. "Desmond. Things with Desmond aren't always easy. I was told often by... those monsters that the things that happened to me were Desmond's fault. His fault for having tried to kill them, when he was warned against it. I don't believe that, though. He and Shepard know each other, from before all of this... maybe not really well, but well enough. He feels an attachment to Shepard because of that, and he knows that Shepard cares for me. I think that's the main reason why he's trying to help. I also get the feeling that he doesn't like being messed with as well. He talks about his actions like he's basing them off of someone else. Someone that he knew before. I think... he'd be happier if he just did what he wanted, though."
Jordan Holt <--> @AlanM
1. "Jordan would probably be surprised to know that he made it on this page, and I hope he never digs far enough in my journal to figure it out. I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it. I do, however, think of him as a friend. He helped me... apparently made a case for me... for me joining their family. I can't be certain why... but I appreciate it a whole bunch. He's funny, and a little crazy. Kind of a kleptomaniac. If you put anything down for even one second he'll snatch it up, or if you fall asleep he'll definitely take your gun. Kind of a prankster... I guess? I don't know... it's good for a laugh though, and I can definitely use those most days. He has times when he's not so crazy, at least when he's not trying to act up in front of the rest of the group."
1. "Gen Z. I hope some of them at least think of me as a friend... I know that for some of them, I'd consider them as such. Luca has always been nice to me, and I guess by extension that means Caleb too. The two are kind of a combo deal. Jordan, too, of course. For whatever reason, he had vouched for me with them. I'm... not sure why. There are others, of course... but... I'd say them for sure. I don't know, maybe I'm just reading into everything too much again. They seem to be okay when I hang around, so... I think I still will. At least, until they get sick of me. We're... all so different after all. Big groups still kinda make me nervous, but... they seem fun. Like a family. I... haven't had a family in a long time. I can't lie and say the idea isn't appealing."
2. Luca's persistent, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't grateful. After a couple times of Generation Z using their medical supplies on me, her argument of safety in numbers was an easy one to get behind. So... I did the logical thing and said yes. But, it's way more than that. They... make me laugh, a lot. And, I don't only feel safe there... but I feel like I might have a purpose being with them. I know I can learn a lot from them... and maybe they'll learn something from me too. Maybe.
"Jill" <---> @ScarletRose
1. "She's the mastermind to all of it. I know it... I've seen it. She's the one mostly to blame for everything that had happened that first day, and everything in between. I... can't lie when I say that I... enjoyed hurting her. I knew her leg was injured, and I kicked it. Hard. She screamed and for a moment I felt... triumphant; like I had one-upped her. A brief little bit of revenge. That feeling... the control of taking a situation into my own hands and watching the pain on her face was short-lived. Soon it was my pain she was relishing in. This woman... she's not the innocent woman I know she can play off."
Kane <---> @Direwolff
1. "He's a monster. Whether or not he's worse than the rest, I don't know... but... he's an animal. I would wake up, and he'd be there. Watching. Waiting till I was awake to turn my skin to his canvas. The others seem able to... bargain. They understand how to weigh the risks and assess a situation. Him? He's... He's rabid. It didn't matter when I behaved, when I wore his fucking bell on my neck and answered to their pet names; "Puppy"... "Sugar". None of it mattered. So I stopped behaving, and I fought. I kicked and screamed and mouthed off... and it felt good. I tried to flee, to leave their capture and when they caught me, he gave me wings for trying to fly away. If there's one person... one person I would allow myself to hurt, it would be him. I want to... to hurt him. I still do... even now. It's... nearly all I can think about. Nearly."
Derek <---> @yuthee
1. "Derek. A danger for other reasons... reasons far beyond the obvious. The way he's able to... pretend to care. He's sinister... lulls you into a small semblance of security and then rips the air from your lungs. He... never scarred me. Never took his blade to my skin, or his hands to my throat like Kane had. But... scarring isn't only skin deep. The fact that he knows that... the fact that he looks at me as if I'm under a microscope -- as if he knows everything about me, and who's to say he's wrong -- is terrifying. Though there were times at the end... times where I thought I could see the human in him."
"The Night We Met" Rain Edit - Lord Huron ♪ "Lovely" Rain Edit - Billie Eilish & Khalid ♪ "Meet Me in the Woods" - Lord Huron ♪ "Wolf" - Skott ♪ "I'll Still Have Me" - CYN