Kuba Zavodny was born in Olsha to an ethnic Chernarussian farming family. He went to school in Berezino and was an average student, focusing on weightlifting and athletics. He was a very sociable kid and had many friends who also shared his pursuits. When he wasn't at school or playing with his friends he would often work around the house and in the field with his father and brothers. Kuba married a fairly wealthy model from Berezino named Andrea Madlenka in 1998, and their first son Andrej was born in 1999. Throughout youth and adulthood he has always had a knack for humor and talking to people. He operates well under pressure but Kuba can't stand insubordination or incompetence. He is jolly during the best of times, but carries dark memories of the Civil War in 2009. Kuba's wife Andrea used her savings to pay for an apartment in Svetloyarsk. They grew their family in the early 2000s as Kuba began to play politics in his unit.
Growing up in the 1980s in the waning years of the Soviet Union made a clear imprint on Kuba. The adults around him were tense and often discussed the events of the day in hushed tones and were often anxious or brooding. Times were changing in Chernarus and many people had become disillusioned with the poor state of the local economy. The lack of opportunity drove many young people into the streets in protest against the local Soviet authority. At that point Olsha was a poor farming town, most of its profit coming from livestock, wheat, and nearby timber operations. A number of people living in Olsha also maintained small row boats for fishing, with some of the wealthier citizens owning larger fishing boats contracting local teenagers to help crew the vessels.
He enlisted in the CDF in 1995 and worked his way through the ranks of the local CDF 93rd Brigade. Throughout the 2000s the CDF was rife with incompetence and waste, many corrupt officers and bureaucrats squandered the fighting power and potential of the CDF. This irritated Kuba immensely and only served to increase his drive to improve his unit and to rise in the ranks so he could do something about it. He made himself useful where he could, working hard to earn the respect of his comrades and superiors and making the right friends where hard work wouldn't suffice. Kuba despises this period in his life, mainly because he had to stoop as low as the ones he despised to get ahead. Despite this, his efforts paid off and he eventually made Captain, ensuring that he had a shot at one day being the head of his unit. He had no desire for further progression in the system as he figured the higher he got the worse the corruption would get. While Kuba had made Captain in 2007 he was promoted to CO/Major of the unit after the Colonel who commanded it was killed during the Chedaki assault. The 176th "Gorka" Mountain Battalion of which he is now Commanding Officer had its base overrun by the Chedaki during the war, and instead of evacuating they chose to take to the back roads, mountains, and hills of South Zagoria to ambush and harass the enemy.
He was chosen between him and another Captain for his actions in combat after the fall of the north. The 176th only emerged from the forest after the US Marine Corps and CDF reinforcements had nearly cleared South Zagoria of the Chedaki. By that time the unit only had around 100 remaining members, many of the 250 strong battalion being killed during the overrun of the base and in the fighting that took place afterwards during the flight from the compound.
He doesn't see the recent changes in Chernarus as bad, but he hates the way the Strana Vzkrizini worked their way into the CDF for their own benefit. Kuba views the politicization of the military as complicating his job and as a hazard to readiness and morale. He is a professional soldier, and only wants to follow and complete orders and ensure the CDF runs as it is supposed to. During his military career he worked as a contract lumberjack and farmhand to feed his family and to earn extra money to supplement his military salary. He knows northern South Zagoria like the back of his hand due to his military service and civilian jobs that have taken him all over the northern frontier.
During the Outbreak Kuba was at ground zero in the base, and was a direct witnessed to what occurred there. He hesitates to even broach the subject with anyone and seems to have been threatened with if he should speak about it. After the base was bombed by the Russians the 176th mustered in the Gorka farms and held the Gvodzno checkpoint and the north-east corner for a while until it was overrun. Most of the unit's family members were evacuated to Utes Island, but many soldiers stayed here in South Zagoria to fight. Since then he has been working to re-group as many CDF soldiers as possible, and hopes to establish an area for Chernarussian where State control can be reinstated.
Following the retreat of the initial government remnant after clashes with Russian VDV troops Major Zavodny moved north with a handful of his officers and was picked up by truck that took them to Miroslavl. From there they were airlifted to their Brigade HQ on Utes Island. The once proud 176th Mountain Battalion had been reduced to around 75 core personnel. The rest had died fighting in the first two weeks of the Outbreak or had perished trying to get their families to pickup points. These 75 were lucky to have escaped the carnage with their families intact, and once on Utes Island they settled down as best they could with the tattered remains of the rest of the 93rd Brigade's battalions. The 76th Mechanized based at Balota but headquartered in Miroslavl had been decimated, with only a handful of soldiers remaining.
- Likes chocolates immensely. Favorite meal is Vepřo-knedlo-zelo (meat, dumplings, and cabbage). Coffee and locally brewed beer are his favorite beverages.
- Kuba is a fairly apolitical man but joined the SV after its formation in 2009. Generally holds right leaning views and despises Right Sektor and Chedaki types.
- Outgoing but not in an annoying way, likes to crack jokes but is dead serious when it comes time for business. Inspiring to his men but he despises reliance and encourages those within his unit to think and act separate from the larger unit if necessary. Stresses self-improvement and discipline to those under him but respects authority and sees the State as a necessary evil to preserve order.
- Enjoys spending time with his family and his military comrades. The 176th is a tight knit unit and is fairly small so soldiers and their family network to support each other. He is generally warm and receptive, especially to new recruits and kids who others might see as a nuisance.
- Likes American Classic Rock, particularly Queen, ACDC, KISS, and CCR. Also enjoys metal and rock from the Balkans and around the Slavic world. Likes a good local folk song from time-to-time as he was raised around it and it made an impression on him from an early age. Also likes Judas Preist and Iron Maiden but despises Bruce Dickinson. Played Motörhead through loud speakers mounted on a Ural during early battalion training exercises and PT, much to the displeasure of the local villagers in Kamensk and Nagornoe.
- A religious man who believes less in the institution of the Church and of religion itself but more in actions of the followers of Christ and the righteous.
- Is rather terrified of snakes which are a bit of a rarity in South Zagoria. Many of his comrades find this odd considering Kuba has been around and had to deal with bears and wolves all his life.
- Fond of bears and once tranquilized and captured one with some of his men which became the 176th mascot until it broke off its chain and rampaged through Nagornoe, destroying several chicken coops.
- After the war he occasionally would go on long hunting trips to help with his memories of the conflict. He feels guilty and responsible despite being considered a hero by many. Many of the Chedaki insurgents he was forced to kill were in their teens and were more or less forced into fighting. Kuba hates being awarded with anything or given any kind of trophy, the pride in his family and profession are all he needs.
- Very amicable view towards ethnic Russians as many of those in his unit were ethnic Russian. Sees them as fellow Slavs but considers separatist movements and anything of the kind to be detrimental to Chernarus. Generally distrustful of foreigners but treats most people based off their actions. Despite this fact he preferred historically Slavic areas to be free of tourists.
- Lived in Chernarus his whole life, and the only other country he has been to is Takistan, which he deployed to during the peacekeeping operations subsequent to the 2012 crisis. Has a veiled hatred for Takistanis after the deployment there.
"Kuba is a generally jovial individual. He is typically in a positive and good state of mind and is not particularly susceptible to getting depressed or dejected. He is most comfortable around those he knows and feels out of place in big cities or places where he is surrounded by strangers. Kuba is generally extroverted in familiar or relaxed situations. He is not especially good at sensing the emotions of those around him, but he is very good at reading people and establishing their mood or inclinations. He is good at addressing large crowds and is very willing to come across as blunt or acerbic in the course of military command. He is commonly a mentor figure to younger members of his unit when the time calls for it, not to the point of hand-holding but just far enough to make sure they are proficient. He suffers from sleep apnea and insomnia and as a result is often moody when he doesn't get good or sufficient sleep. Those who threaten or endanger his close circle of family or comrades are likely to find themselves on the end of Kuba's less pleasant traits. He has a penchant for cruelty against those he perceives as war criminals or perverts. He is generally professional when it calls for it but tends to be more easy-going and perhaps cheerful or exuberant than those of similar stature. "
"Doesn't mind swearing or obscenity but hates others invoking Christ's name in vain. He is far more spiritual than religious and regards the church as more a collection of greedy men clothed in piety than an honorable body of people. Hates loose women or those he sees as being loose, despite the fact he married a model. He is not hot tempered and is very patient and rarely gets angry. He has no time for charlatans, quacks, bureaucrats or any sort of person who he feels he owes respect due to a military tie. He respects competence and those who are knowledgeable in their craft. Kuba has good memory and is decent at remembering specific details about places and faces, but struggles with names sometimes. He does not deal well with hostile and/or stressful personal situations and is prone to flight rather than fight, preferring to remove himself from the event to collect his thoughts and clear his head."
"Kuba was rated high in conscientiousness in our observations, and demonstrated a remarkable level of introspection that allows him to learn from experience and apply previous failures to the plans of the future. He is doggedly persistent when pursuing passion or his duty, sometimes to the point of danger. He is diligent in his work if not methodical, as he prefers to have a flexible and working plan as opposed to a step-by-step protocol. He was noted to have a large degree of deference to trusted junior officers, often to where he will submit himself to their better judgement in the best of situations. This has also inevitably create occasions where he did not assert his authority and allowed a poor plan or scheme to be executed. He is very often too hard on himself, leading to doubt in some albeit rare occurrences. We link Kuba's affection for his subordinates to his upbringing where he often "looked after" kids who were not as social developed or seen as oddballs. He is charmingly charismatic in terms of his personal presence."
"Generally lacks a knack for working on machinery or systems, and prefers simple labor and drudgery to complex work. He avoids starting tasks he can't finish and also steers clear of things he may be interested in but not have the prior knowledge to speak up about. When he is bound to learn about something he will endeavor to learn every aspect about the subject as he proceeds and delves deeper. He is generally easy-going but there are hints that he does at times subvert appearances to come across as more relaxed when in reality he is tense or worried. He has few severely negative traits in terms of his behavior but has a hidden past regarding his parents and avoids conversation about them. This suggests he may have had a troubled childhood despite the fact that he is a generally well-adjusted individual. He prefers to bury trauma and forget unpleasant situations, even those that should be confronted. He is obsessive and orderly regarding personal hygiene and organization, and actively expects those around him to follow his example. He is no doubt an asset to those around him in various situations, and always leads from the front where he can see what is occurring and react quickly. I have every expectation that Major Zavodny will perform his prescribed duties to the letter."
- Commander Borivoj Kopriva