Kuba Zavodny was born in Olsha to an ethnic Chernarussian farming family. He went to school in Berezino and was an average student, focusing on weightlifting and athletics. He was a very sociable kid and had many friends who also shared his pursuits. When he wasn't at school or playing with his friends he would often work around the house and in the field with his father and brothers. Kuba married a fairly wealthy model from Berezino named Andrea Madlenka in 1998, and their first son Andrej was born in 1999. Throughout youth and adulthood he has always had a knack for humour and talking to people. He operates well under pressure but Kuba can't stand insubordination or incompetence. He is jolly during the best of times, but carries dark memories of the Civil War in 2009.
He enlisted in the CDF in 1995 and worked his way through the ranks of the local CDF 93rd Brigade Throughout the 2000s the CDF was rife with incompetence and waste, many corrupt officers and bureaucrats squandered the fighting power and potential of the CDF. This irritated Kuba immensely and only served to increase his drive to improve his unit and to rise in the ranks so he could do something about it. While Kuba had made Captain in 2007 he was promoted to CO/Major of the unit after the Colonel who commanded it was killed during the Chedaki assault. The 176th "Gorka" Mountain Battalion of which he is now Commanding Officer had its base overrun by the Chedaki during the war, and instead of evacuating they chose to take to the back roads, mountains, and hills of South Zagoria to ambush and harass the enemy. He was chosen between him and another Captain for his actions in combat after the fall of the north. The 176th only emerged from the forest after the US Marine Corps and CDF reinforcements had nearly cleared South Zagoria of the Chedaki. By that time the unit only had around 100 remaining members, many of the 250 strong battalion being killed during the overrun of the base and in the fighting that took place afterwards during the flight from the compound.
He doesn't see the recent changes in Chernarus as bad, but he hates the way the Strana Vzkrizini worked their way into the CDF for their own benefit. Kuba views the politicization of the military as complicating his job and as a hazard to readiness and morale. He is a professional soldier, and only wants to follow and complete orders and ensure the CDF runs as it is supposed to. During his military career he worked as a contract lumberjack and farmhand to feed his family and to earn extra money to supplement his military salary. He knows northern South Zagoria like the back of his hand due to his military service and civilian jobs that have taken him all over the northern frontier.
During the Outbreak Kuba was at ground zero in the base, and was a direct witnessed to what occurred there. He hesitates to even broach the subject with anyone and seems to have been threatened with if he should speak about it. After the base was bombed by the Russians the 176th mustered in the Gorka farms and held the Gvodzno checkpoint and the north-east corner for a while until it was overrun. Most of the unit's family members were evacuated to Utes Island, but many soldiers stayed here in South Zagoria to fight. Since then he has been working to re-group as many CDF soldiers as possible, and hopes to establish an area for Chernarussian where State control can be reinstated.
- Likes chocolates immensely. Favorite meal is Vepřo-knedlo-zelo (meat, dumplings, and cabbage). Coffee and locally brewed beer are his favorite beverages.
- Kuba is a fairly apolitical man but joined the SV after its formation in 2009. Generally holds right leaning views and despises Right Sektor and Chedaki types.
- Outgoing but not in an annoying way, likes to crack jokes but is dead serious when it comes time for business. Inspiring to his men but he despises reliance and encourages those within his unit to think and act separate from the larger unit if necessary. Stresses self-improvement and discipline to those under him but respects authority and sees the State as a necessary evil to preserve order.
- Enjoys spending time with his family and his military comrades. The 176th is a tight knit unit and is fairly small so soldiers and their family network to support each other. He is generally warm and receptive, especially to new recruits and kids who others might see as a nuisance.
- Likes American Classic Rock, particularly Queen, ACDC, KISS, and CCR. Also enjoys metal and rock from the Balkans and around the Slavic world. Likes a good local folk song from time-to-time as he was raised around it and it made an impression on him from an early age.
- A religious man who believes less in the institution of the Church and of religion itself but more in actions of the followers of Christ and the righteous.
- Is rather terrified of snakes which are a bit of a rarity in South Zagoria. Many of his comrades find this odd considering Kuba has been around and had to deal with bears and wolves all his life.
- Fond of bears and once tranquilized and captured one with some of his men which became the 176th mascot until it broke off its chain and rampaged through Nagornoe, destroying several chicken coops.
- After the war he occasionally would go on long hunting trips to help with his memories of the conflict. He feels guilty and responsible despite being considered a hero by many. Many of the Chedaki insurgents he was forced to kill were in their teens and were more or less forced into fighting. Kuba hates being awarded with anything or given any kind of trophy, the pride in his family and profession are all he needs.
- Very amicable view towards ethnic Russians as many of those in his unit were ethnic Russian. Sees them as fellow Slavs but considers separatist movements and anything of the kind to be detrimental to Chernarus.
- Lived in Chernarus his whole life, and the only other country he has been to is Takistan, which he deployed to during the peacekeeping operations subsequent to the 2012 crisis. Has a veiled hatred for Takistanis after the deployment there.