Welcome to the DayZRP v3 website series, Part 2, where every week until presumably end of June or early July I will introduce you to some features of the new DayZRP website that is currently in development.
Blogs are member driven pages, and as the name suggest they work kind of like... a blog. My idea was to replace the Lore and Stories forums with blogs - you can create a blog for every character you own which will nicely structure all content, instead of it being in random threads on the forums. So, blogs will be used as journals for characters, but also for other puposes, for example if you have a settlement or a small group of randoms you can create a blog for them as well. Staff for example will have our own blog where we will post the small changes that are being done etc, that do not deserve a whole announcement. Blogs like most of the content in IP Board can be rated, reviewed, commented on and followed by other members, creating sort of a "fanbase" for your content.
Example of a blog page
The community will have a public gallery where all users can upload pictures, screenshots etc. Members can create their own albums and rate each others picture and comment on them. Pictures from the gallery can be then easily embedded in posts, or blogs.
Example of a gallery page
The current special titles rewarded for events, community awards etc will be replaced with awards. Rewards will work as sort of an achievement system and there will be plenty of them that range from common ones like how long you've been registered, post count, activity, using different features of the website to rare limited ones, given for exceptional help, winning contests etc. A limited number of awards will be displayed next to your posts, a full list will be available in a tab on your profile. We hope to create fun small images as reward badges with zombie theme, to represent the different awards and achievements.
Example of the award page with statistics
Big changes here. The profiles will look a lot different, I have managed to preserve some of the customization by buying plugins for custom profile music and background, however as you can see below the background will no longer be behind transparent content, instead it will fill the page background around it. All members will be able to set the small background in the box that is underneath your username.
Example of a member profile
You will be able to track recent visitors that have viewed your profile, post status updates that can be commented on (Facebook like), view your awards, see your Steam activity and see your followers. Avatar sizes are in the works, I'm not sure if we will be able to do rectangle avatars as we have now, perhaps it will be implemented at a later date. Big square ones are confirmed working though.
As I mentioned in the part 1, question and troubleshooting threads will be overhauled, where all members will be able to vote on best answer in a thread. OP of the thread can always choose best answer on their own, but if he doesn't do that - the answer which has gotten the most votes will be marked as best and the best answer gets +rep. The question and troubleshooting forums will be primarily used for user to user support, with staff still assisting with basic questions.
The staff support will be moved to a new ticket based system where you have a direct and private contact with staff. This will be used for example for help with payments, whitelist, website errors and similar things that community members usually cannot assist you with.
The Premium system will use a completely new base as well. All your transactions will be carried over and your premium ranks preserved. Some perks however may be changed or replaced by others. Here's a list of the different Premium features and plans for them:
- Profile background
- Profile music
- Big avatars
- PM quotas
- Supporter+ forums
- Username changes
- Can disable ads on website
- GIF avatars
- Tycoon features
- Post background color
- Ability to create community circles using the same system as groups
- TeamSpeak intergration (to begin with, automatically get TS tag when promoted on website)
- Probably at least 2 more features, but we will figure that out once the website is up and running.
- Titles (the customizable text below your name)
- Posting time restriction lowered
- Hidden mode
Next week I'll talk about custom DayZRP features and data migration.
As you've probably noticed I have created a sale for Premium ranks.
It lasts until Sunday, June 5th. I've taken off a decent amount off the top ranks, up to 40% off for Hall of Famer.
The income from this will be primarily used to hire a programmer who will code some nice custom functions for the new website, as I don't have enough experience or time. And if there is some money left after that I would like to order a GTX1080, as I'm currently running on CPU built in Intel HD4000 after my previous graphics card died and all I can play is Minecraft.
The new sale rank thresholds do not apply retroactively. For example those who have paid for 60€ or 80€ ranks and would like to upgrade to Hall of Famer will not receive the HoF rank automatically. The new sale tresholds for ranks will only trigger if a transaction goes through - so you need to donate at least 5€ for it to trigger and upgrade you to the next rank. Same goes for ranks below.
Also, if you want to donate for someone else, just donate on your account and send me a PM with transaction ID and the link to the profile of the person who should receive the amount and I'll fix the rest.
The idea of interview a community member is to take yet another step forward towards bringing the
The idea is to create a thread where we will interview a random community member.
During this interview we will ask the community member some questions regarding the community and how their DayZRP experience has been.
This week we interviewed: Otter
Thank you so much for participating!
Ended up joining the community because I had heard about it through a friend. We joined together and he was promptly permabanned that night. I went on and continued to roleplay with some of the wonderful people here and continue to do so almost every day.
~ Have you made any friends during your time in this community? ~
Play a non combatant. My time as a photojournalist in game saw me being used in propaganda wars and I was never robbed. I spent time with tons of different groups, capturing pictures and making friends all over the place.
~ If you could meet one roleplay character you have met ingame in RL, who it would and why? ~
IC I almost regret trying to assassinate The Father, helping to break up The Faith seemed like a good idea at the time, but I miss those days sometimes. OOC I regret going on my hiatus. I missed a lot of fun roleplay over the winter from stories I have heard.
Read and understand the rules. Play a non hostile character for awhile, banditry is hard and carries a lot of responsibility, don't try it until you are comfortable living up to the standards of the community. Think long and hard about your character, make sure they are a real person. If you were to run into them on the street, would you say to yourself, ""Is this guy for real?""
~ Is there anything you would like to see more of within the community? ~
I would like to see some more fear and character development in people. People in game often walk around like they can handle whatever the world throws at them, and no matter what happens to them many don't change. It would be nice to see more dynamic characters.
Interested in doing our interview?
Well you could be the potential next one!
We randomly pick people.
Keep a close eye on that PM box!
Welcome to the DayZRP v3 website series, where every week until presumably end of June or early July I will introduce you to some features of the new DayZRP website that is currently in development.
Some important information first:
- I cannot show you any screenshots from the actual website under development because it's simply not ready. If I showed you how it looks today everyone would go "please no, keep the old website". That's why I'm using screenshots from different websites using the same system, to give you an approximate idea how things will work and look in the final release.
- Everything below may be changed or removed completely during development
- Try to stay open minded and do not jump to conclusions based in this early information
The new website is based on IP Board 4. IPB is a commercial, modern and flexible community system that is used by many established companies and communities world wide. IPB is not free like MyBB that we currently use is. It costs about 250$ per year for the licenses and plugins we use and that's aside the initial cost of everything, however I think it's still worth it. Ad income should cover that cost.
- MyBBs underlying code is old, it still uses tables for the themes. It does not follow most modern standards, it is not HTML5 capable, it does not have a responsive design, some core functionality we have is provided by old and broken plugins.
- IPB follows all modern best practices, and everything that was mentioned above. It allows the members to much easier engage in the community and create and follow content.
- Since 2015 Google punishes websites that do not follow modern standards or don't have mobile friendly design by lowering their page rank, something that I have noticed in search results. This move will fix that.
- New shiny community features that will enhance your experience and it's really easy, nice and satisfying to browse through and create content once you get used to it.
Okay, now that we got that out of the way, here's some features that I've been working on.
New DayZRP website will feature two themes - bright (default) and dark one and you will be able to switch between them freely. The bright theme will have white/grey background with grey accents and red elements on it. The dark theme will be very much like the current website theme with different shades of grey and red elements.
An example theme that has similar colors to the bright theme that is being developed.
An example theme that has similar colors to the dark theme that is being developed.
Both themes feature responsive design which means they will look nicely no matter if viewed on desktop, tablets or mobile phones, see demo below:
The old group control panel will be scrapped and a new system has been installed to take over its functionality. The new system allows members to create new groups within it. Every group works sort of like a mini-community within the DayZRP website - it has it's own home page that you can edit, forums, gallery, calendar, ranks and member list. You can assign group members to different tasks yourself, such as moderators for your forum or page co-owners who can do all the things the original owner does.
An example of a group home page
In forums you can set individual permissions for forums, so for example you can have a forum that is accessible to all members of the community for the purpose of having a public recruitment thread and application. Groups can be reviewed and rated by other community members, which shows up at the bottom of the group page and as a star rating.
This system will also be used in similar way to create community circles - basically the same idea as above, but instead of it being for in game groups it will be a perk for certain premium rank whom will be able to create a page for their friends in the community and have all the features associated with it.
Forums and profiles
Forums are our most important part of the community, so it's super important that they are easy to use and intuitive. Current website has some serious issues with how certain functions are handled, all of which are fixed in the new system. Here are some new and improved features regarding the forums and related community features:
- Flexible and reliable notification system where you can disable and enable all sorts of different notification types, or choose to be emailed for the important ones
- Improved conversation style PMs, the entire conversation history is displayed and you can invite more people into a conversation
- Modern WYSIWYG post editor with extended functions (no more BB code typing)
- Mentioning others in your posts or comments like so @Rolle will trigger an notification for that person
- Lots of quality of life improvements, for example easy quoting - choose entire posts to quote or just use the mouse to select the text in someones post to quote that part. Or after typing the post you can submit it using CTRL+Enter, something that those who use Outlook at work will appreciate.
- Enhanced post preview, so you can see how your post will look like on desktop and mobile versions of the website
- Easily embed media, just paste in a link to YouTube, an image online etc to automatically embed it into your posts.
- Hovering mouse over content like thread titles, profiles etc will show a quick summary of that content
- Activity timeline (shows what's you've been doing recently) and status updates on profiles with comments. Also last few visitors who have visited your profile will be displayed if you wish so.
- Ability to follow members, forums, threads and other content and get a notification or emails when new content is posted (fully customizable in the notification settings).
- Steam information on your profile page, showing your Steam online status as well as the last few games played.
- Enhanced support forums where OP can now choose best answer himself and /solve the thread.
- Live content updates, so for example if someone posts in the thread while you're browsing it or typing a reply, a notification will show up that new posts have been made and you can see them without reloading the page or stopping to type your post. Or a notification will be shown if you receive a PM, even if you don't actively browse the forums. Same goes for other types of notifications, wherever you are on the website.
- Chat box is back. Nuff said.
Next week I'll talk about blogs, galleries, member profiles and support system.
A position has recently opened up within the Loremaster team, and we are looking for new people to join the DayZRP staff. We are actively looking within the EU timezones, but the position will be filled by the applicant determined to be best fit for the role --US/AU included. All US/AU applicants are also encouraged to apply in the event that future positions become available or are deemed necessary.
With this, we wish to see those who are interested in helping the DayZRP staff team,in doing so becoming part of the team.
Further details of the position will be filled in during an interview with both the current Loremasters and the Admin team.
• Age of 18+
• Passionate about writing stories and being part of the team.
• Experience in writing, having a vast imagination and capable with working with people (Staff and community)
• Free time and dedication in helping write the lore and helping others.
HOW TO APPLY
If you wish to apply or have any questions regarding the position. This position is open for both current staff and community members.
You are able to apply by sending a private message to any admin here.
Any applications placed in a new post directly on this thread will not be taken into consideration.
Individuals who have previously submitted applications for the role should PM an admin to note that they are still interested, and may be asked to provide another application.
Please follow the following format when sending a PM:
Writing experience [Links to examples]:
Why should we choose you?:
What other qualities do you have?:
What can you bring to the team?:
(If there are any other details you wish to add that have not been covered in the application, please do so after the final question.)
Thank you for your interest in the Loremaster team!